Views
Helpful
Replies

Traffic Shaping on 6880 between sites over metro ethernet

aidan.manning
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I have a new dual site setup with 6880s at the core at one side and 3650 stack at the other. We have a 200mbps ethernet solution from our service provider but on testing we are maxing at a bit over 100mbps, iperf tests directly on the link are giving 200mbps so I need to apply some shaping to get the full usage from the link. In the past I have used srr bandwidth on metro switches but the 6880s don't support this. So I assume I need to setup  policy maps and apply to the physical interface? The interfaces are layer 2 trunks and we are stretching vlans between the sites. E.g. siteA has vlan20 and site B has vlan 20 over the metro ethernet service, site b is layer2 only and all routing and services are provided at siteA

Is it as simple as this? It seems too easy :) So I may be missing something. I just apply this on the physical interface at each side?

policy-map POLICY-S2S-200MB
class class-default
shape average 204800000

policy-map POLICY-S2S-200MB-IN
 class class-default
   police cir 204800000
     conform-action transmit 
     exceed-action drop 
~                          

int gi1/1/1

service-policy out POLICY-S2S-200MB-OUT out

service-policy out POLICY-S2S-200MB-IN in

Your input would due treaty appreciated!

Thanks,

Aidan.

9 Replies 9

aidan.manning
Level 1
Level 1

got the interface bit wrong:

int gi1/1/1

service-policy out POLICY-S2S-200MB-OUT

service-policy in POLICY-S2S-200MB-IN

Any other opinions on this?

I was also thinking I could just apply generic shaping on the itherface?

(config-if) traffic-shape rate bit-rate [burst-size [excess-burst-size]]

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Hmm, you may find the 6880 doesn't support shaping.

It seems shaping is supported:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-6880-x-switch/white_paper_c11-728541.html

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Ah, well that's great!  (Hmm, now I wonder if same feature is available on 6500 with sup2T or 6807.)

In that case, your output policy might be just as simple as what's in your OP.  Cisco isn't really clear whether all their shapers (or policers) are counting L2 and L3 or just L3. I suspect many just count L3. If that's true in this case, you may need to shape about 10 to 15% slower to allow for L2 overhead (this assuming your provider is providing 200 Mbps of "wire" bandwidth.

If you're able to shape on the other side, then there should be no need to also police the ingress.  Also, assuming provider limits bandwidth, there's no reason to police ingress at CIR rate.

aidan.manning
Level 1
Level 1

I know this will work on a L3 interface, the question really is will this work on an L2 trunk??

aidan.manning
Level 1
Level 1

I got this working in the end in case anyone comes across the question:

Shaping

policy-map type lan-queuing POLICY-500MB-OUT
      class class-default
        shape average 512000000

Hi there. Did you apply this on a routed interface or switchport? Also can you tell if I can do LLQ with it too? Need to test it in lab but need to find time. Thanks!

The prior 6500 series didn't support LLQ (except on FlexWAN cards), but many line cards did support a PQ. Likely the 68xx series might too.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card