Views
Helpful
Replies

Trunking not working

aelharam
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I am setting up two 2960 cisco switches, set up two vlans (Vlan 1 (default)  Vlan 5). i configured gi1/0/1 to be a trunk port for both switches using :

en

conf t

int gi1/0/1 

switchport mode trunk

switchport trunk allowed vlan 1-1000

and i have done this on both switches however the trunk port is not working. i used a crossover cable in port 1 on both switches. when i do 

show int trunk

i dont get anything returned.

Can you please advice.

Many Thanks

Abdo

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

ok its configured wrong and has gone into err-disabled mode as per the interface status

the reason is you set portfast which is only for access ports , when the switch bpdu came in it went error the port to stop a loop as it thought it was access port  , please remove everything but the below and you will need to bounce the port again , shut , then no shut each port , make sure each side just has the below  

int g1/0/1

switchport mode trunk

### A quick way to do it is ....(conft)default int g1/01

That will set it back to original no config just for the port rather than having to type no for each line

View solution in original post

16 Replies 16

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

you don't need a crossover the switches support mdix so a straight through will do fine 

are the vlans added at layer 2 on each switch in the ... show vlan and both trunk ports are up/up each side

try the straight through instead see if it makes a diff your config is fine once the vlans are in place at layer 2

Thanks for the fast reply, and yes they are both layer 2 vlans, however can you clarifiy what you mean by "both trunk ports are up/up each side"

Hi

that the physical interface are showing up/up on each switch , each port that's set as a trunk  , try a straight through it will prob come up  

show ip int brief
GigabitEthernet1/0/16  unassigned      YES unset  up                    up

This is the results i get after typing sh ip int br:

GigabitEthernet1/0/1  unassigned      YES unset  administratively down                 down

ok that the issue port is manually down , needs to be brought up , make sure both sides are up/up then , run same command again after the no shut on each interface , then show int trunk

(conf t)

int g1/0/1

no shut

Ive run the above commands and now when i do:

sh ip int br

im getting:

GigabitEthernet1/0/1  unassigned      YES unset   down                 down

so when its down /down and not up/down , that means you have a physical layer 1 issue which is either port is shut , the cable is faulty or its not connected at other end , unlikely the port is faulty

make sure both sides are not admin like that last output , the far end where g1/0/1 other end of the trunk is not admin down either

change the cable to straight through standard cat5 /6 cable

You wont see ay trunk info until the ports are up/up each side at interface

i dont think it is a port issue because when i run 

conf t 

int gi1/0/1 

switchport mode access

switchport access vlan 5

ex

it works. However when i change it to a trunk port i does not work.

physical switch port does not care when its access or set as trunk , it should come up physically either way once the cable is connected between the 2 switches

from both switches where the cable is connected between the ports and its set as trunk

can you post please the

sh run int x/x

and show int x/x

This will allow us to see if there something else causing it  

Ive attached a screenshot, this is one of the switches

Hi

A switchport cannot be as trunk or access mode at the same time (it will not affect the port status), but as Mark mentioned you should replace the cable. 

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<

ok its configured wrong and has gone into err-disabled mode as per the interface status

the reason is you set portfast which is only for access ports , when the switch bpdu came in it went error the port to stop a loop as it thought it was access port  , please remove everything but the below and you will need to bounce the port again , shut , then no shut each port , make sure each side just has the below  

int g1/0/1

switchport mode trunk

### A quick way to do it is ....(conft)default int g1/01

That will set it back to original no config just for the port rather than having to type no for each line

Thank you very much, that has solved my issue.

great , glad we could help

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card