cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

UDP Broadcast forwarding, Nexus

erick.whiteford
Level 1
Level 1

Customer is using Exterity product to stream TV to receivers placed around the LAN. Management of the receivers is done with a package which receives SNMP traps from the receivers before adding the receiver to the management database.

If the receiver is in a different VLAN from the management device the traps need to be forwarded to the “management” VLAN using an “ip helper-address”.

This is where I run into a problem as the Layer 3 is on a Nexus 7000 series running NX-OS (v5.1(1)) and it doesn’t appear to support the ip helper-address command, instead it uses the “ip dhcp relay address”.

Am I missing something or is there a way of forwarding UDP port 162 to a different VLAN on the Nexus?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Chad Peterson
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Erick,

The Nexus 7000 doesn't have support for routing broadcasts from one vlan to another.  Only time we do this is DHCP Relay (which translates broadcast to unicast).

Chad

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Chad Peterson
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Erick,

The Nexus 7000 doesn't have support for routing broadcasts from one vlan to another.  Only time we do this is DHCP Relay (which translates broadcast to unicast).

Chad

Thanks Chad. That was the conclusion I had already come to, however, I wanted to run it past someone in the know in case I had missed something.

Hi Chad, do you know if it is planned to provide this functionality in the Nexus in future releases?

Sung Min Cho
Level 1
Level 1

Chad,

We need the routing broadcasts from one vlan to another for netbios protocol.

Any idea for dolving the this problem ?

Thank,

Sungmin

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card