cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unable to ping switch

pfizcisco
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all, at the company I work for we have a 2900 connected to a 4006 access switch. There uplinks between the switches are 2 fiber connections channelized. By using the cdp protocol I can see the 2900 from 4006 and vice versa, including ip information and everything else you could get from cdp. The problem is that all of a sudden i can't reach the 2900 not even from the 4006. I can see it by using cdp from 4006, but can't ping it. Would somebody give me an idea of what to look for? Rebooted switch, but didn't hep, trunking is configured properly and management vlan is up, ip and default gateway all are correct, anyways I wouldn't need the gateway to be correct to ping it from the 4006. Any pointers? Thanks.

4 Replies 4

Kevin Dorrell
Level 10
Level 10

I presume both switches are on the same subnet and their management on the same VLAN?

Can you can get in from the cosole on both sides? Could you post a show cdp neighbor detail from both sides?

After you try a ping, can you see an ARP ache entry for the neighbor, on each side?

Mmm ... fiber connections channelised ... could they be connected by any chance?

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

marcobinda
Level 1
Level 1

I think you need to set the bridge-group under

the interface Port-channel.

If you don't set the bridge-group under the interface (fast-eth or port-channel) the campus can see the

switch (with cdp enabled) but can't forward traffic.

It should be useful if you pasted the part of configuration concerning Port-channel and the FastEthernet used to link the switch.

bye,

Marco.

Guys, I can get it to pass traffic if I disable one of the links, but if both of the links in the port channel are up, it doesn't work. Which defeats the purpose of the channel.

I think it is because you are not using spanning-tree,

so if you don't configure port channel on both of the

switch, you create a loop.

Check if both of your switch have the interface assgned to the right channel-group.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card