Views
Helpful
Replies

Unable to reach the gateway from L2 switch

dineshkumar.2.r
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Team,

we have a L2 switch,L3 switch and a router. And the communication will be like as follows,  HOST -> L2 SW -> L3 SW -> Router.

The switches and routers are already configured and working fine. Now i try to add a new VLAN segment in the network. 

I'm trying to add a VLAN 243 in the network. i have used the existing switch information and configured the new VLAN accordingly.

Now the things is i can able to access the GW IP of new vlan through L3 switch but not from L2 switch. 

kindly let me know what needs to be configured on the L2 switch.

Thanks in advance.

BR,

Dineshkumar R

2 Replies 2

Furose M
Level 3
Level 3

Hi Dinesh,

you do not have an SVI for Vlan 243 in L3 switch. so, when you ping the Vlan 243's IP address from L3 switch, it takes the Exit interface IP address as the source IP address, which is Vlan 303.

when you ping from the L2 switch, the packets go in the same Vlan till the router. i believe if you ping the L2 switch from L3 switch, it wont work either.

do "show interface trunk" on the l2 switch and L3 switch and make sure Vlan 243 is not in pruned list and in FWD state in the trunk links

ahmedshoaib
Level 4
Level 4

Hi;

Just want to clear is there any reason to configure vlan 243 & 242 configure on L2 switch. It should be configure on L3 switch. If you configure multiple vlan on switch it should support routing to route the traffic. and normally L2 switch don't support routing.

Please can you verify by the status of interface vlan 243 & vlan 242. I will recommend to configure trunk between L2 &  L3 switch. And move SVI either L3 switch or router.

Thanks & Best regards;

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card