cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

upgrade 3850 from 03 version to 16 version directly?

SparkJiang05363
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, All:

I have WS-C3850-24T, it running old version 03.02.03,Can I upgrade this old version to 16.09.05 directly? I don't need to upgrade the 03.02.03 to 03.06.XX or 03.07.XX first, right? 

hope you can help me answer this question, it's my first time upgrade 3850 switch.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

RECOMMEND:  Kindly read the Release Notes very, very carefully.

Upgrade from 3.2.X to 16.9.X is supported.   Make sure to upgrade using "Install Mode".  

WARNING:  Upgrading from 3.X.X to 16.X.X will also include an (automatic) micro-code upgrade.  This will take around 25 minutes.  Do not be alarmed if the upgrade takes this long.  

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

RECOMMEND:  Kindly read the Release Notes very, very carefully.

Upgrade from 3.2.X to 16.9.X is supported.   Make sure to upgrade using "Install Mode".  

WARNING:  Upgrading from 3.X.X to 16.X.X will also include an (automatic) micro-code upgrade.  This will take around 25 minutes.  Do not be alarmed if the upgrade takes this long.  

thanks for your reply,other question is roll-back in case, seems the 03.02.03 is too old, I can't find it on the IOS download of Cisco, also I did "dir" command ,even can't find 03.02.03.XXXX.bin in the 3850 flash, only see some of .pkg file,packages.conf.....if really need roll-back, I think it's  a risk.

Seeing the "packages.conf" is not really full-proof.
Look at the time and date of the "packages.conf".
Run the command "more flash-1:packages.conf | b for NOVA" and see if the version matches. Run the same command to all members of the switch.

josef.kokal
Level 1
Level 1

Just upgraded two 3850 Stacks this week for a customer from 3.6.6E to 16.9.4 which took about 15 Minutes.

software install file ..... switch .... verbose new force

Also i faced the issue that local users with a secret 4 password were removed after the upgrade

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card