Helpful
Replies

Using DTP on a port-channel

Jeremy Dubrulle
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a simple question.

I've tried to configure a port-channel between two switches. But it seems that it's not possible to configure dtp on the port-channel.

The channel is well configured but I can't make the trunk working with "switchport mode dynamic auto" (or desirable) on the interface port-channel.

I mean I can enter the command but the channel doesn't transmit the frames and the channel doesn't work properly.

Is it normal?

Thanks.

4 Replies 4

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Jeremy,

I would need to test this in a lab as I personally avoid DTP as much as possible - but that, of course, does not mean you should not try it out!

Before I do that, though, can you please answer the following questions for me?

1. Where exactly did you configure the switchport mode dynamic command - did you enter it on the physical ports or on the Port-channel virtual interface? It should be placed on both.
  2. What does the show etherchannel summary command on both switches say? Does it show the Port-channel interface as SU (Switched, Up) with all physical ports marked with P (In Port-channel)?
  3. What does the show interfaces trunk say? Especially if you configure at least one of the switches with switchport mode dynamic desirable, does the show int trunk show the Port-channel being treated as a trunk?

Best regards,
Peter

Thanks for your reply.

I try it with Packet Tracer and I think pkt is the problem.

It works perfectly when I put the trunk mode as "on". But it's completely bugging when using desirable on the port-channel and physical interfaces (interfaces shutting down, then upping, then trunking on/off, ...). And the trunk is not mounting when one side is desirable and the other auto.

So I think it's packet tracer, but thanks to tell me it could work.

NB : I know DTP shouldn't be used, but that's for my personal knowledge ;)

Seems that trunking mode has to be the same between etherchannel interfaces.

Look at the answer of a netacad quiz question I've done (on the attachment).

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

No it should work.  One end should be auto and the other dynamic or both ends should be dynamic .  Maybe post your config. 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card