cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Using vPC vs. Stackwise Virtual

rkoloj
Level 1
Level 1

I am currently using Stackwise Virtual to connect 2 C9500 switches.  I am now wondering what the difference between leaving the 2 switches connected via Stackwise connection or connecting them via vPC.

The way I understand it is that they are now logically connected so they should act as 1 switch correct?  So is there really a difference?  What confuses me is one switch is 'ACTIVE' and one switch is 'STANDBY' in Stackwise as a . .on the other hand, configuring them vPC using a trunk port and port-channel and the 2 switches are connected via a L2/L3 connection?  Is there really a difference?  I just thought Stackwise would be better because I could just login to 1 switch for the administration of both switches.  

3 Replies 3

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
I am currently using Stackwise Virtual to connect 2 C9500 switches.  I am now wondering what the difference between leaving the 2 switches connected via Stackwise connection or connecting them via vPC.

Stack and Stackwise works on Catalyst switches

vPC works on Nexus Switches (mostly used in Dc Environment)

Stack or Stack Wise   - Physically 2 and Logically 1 switch, So only 1 Control plane. (other one will be slave)

vPC mostly Active / Active.

both the use cases are different.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Octavian Szolga
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

vPC is available only for selected Nexus switches, Stackwise Virtual only for selected Catalyst platforms. You cannot have vPC on Catalyst just like you cannot have VSS or Stackwise Virtual on Nexus.

Using Stackwise Virtual, you have one management plane, one control plane and a distributed data plane.

It's like you have only one switch to manage.

On the other hand, when using vPC, two Nexus switches behave like one switch (STP/LACP, etc) only from a L2 perspective.

You still have separate management and separate/individual L3 services.

BR,
Octavian

vPC is two brain in one big body "two control plane with one data plane"
Stack is one brain in one big body "one control plane with one data plane"

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card