cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Virtual Switching Systems

mohsen.hayati
Level 1
Level 1

I want to buy two Cisco Catalyst 6880-X-LE (standard table) and put them in my core layer (collapsed design) as hosts gateway with VSS enabled for redundancy.

The gateway interfaces for Inter-VLAN routing would be SVI (logical VLAN Interface) so that I can use end-to-end VLANs for specific purposes.

My questions are:

1. Can I use SVI on VSS enabled switches?

2. How can I use modules which are installed on both of switches? Are all the line-cards of both switches usable simultaneously? Or just active switch line-cards are usable and the standby switch line-cards become active when active switch fails?

3 Replies 3

Deepak Kumar
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

1. Yes, You can use the SVI on the VSS enabled switches.

How can I use modules which are installed on both of switches? Are all the line-cards of both switches usable simultaneously? Or just active switch line-cards are usable and the standby switch line-cards become active when active switch fails?

2. Yes, Both switches line cards are active and can work simultaneously.  Those switches (VSS Domain Switches) will share a common control and management panel. (Depend on Design)

Regards,

Deepak Kumar 

Regards,
Deepak Kumar,
Don't forget to vote and accept the solution if this comment will help you!

Scott Hodgdon
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Mohsen,

How many links of each speed are required in this VSS setup ? Do you require large buffers for any specific applications ?

We now have the Catalyst 9K series that supports StackWise Virtual (SWV) which is the same functionality as VSS. The Catalyst 9K will have a longer lifespan and higher scale than the Catalyst 6880-X-LE.

Cheers,
Scott Hodgdon

Senior Technical Marketing Engineer

Enterprise Networking Group

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

My questions are:

1. Can I use SVI on VSS enabled switches?

YES, you care create them, since VSS make 2 physical devices to one  logical switch.

2. How can I use modules which are installed on both of switches? Are all the line-cards of both switches usable simultaneously? Or just active switch line-cards are usable and the standby switch line-cards become active when active switch fails?

it all depends in edge switch connection, if you have access swith with dual home connection make it port-channel, you have always have resilience in the setup ( again it all depends on how you design edge network, L2 or L3)

here is the design guide for reference :

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/solutions/Enterprise/Campus/VSS30dg/campusVSS_DG/VSS-dg_ch1.html

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card