Level 1
Level 1

I have a switch, I configurebelow:

(1) int vlan 1, no shutdown, ip address 192.168.1.3 255.255.255.0

(2) port 5 configuration:

switchport access vlan 10

switchport mode access

(3) I have one PC connect to switch port 5,

in my windows 7 PC, I setup tcp/ip through control panel, IP: 192.168.1.1. 255.255.255.0, default gateway 192.168.1.3

from my pc, i can't ping to 192.168.1.3, in my switch, i connect through console cable, the other side of console cable is my PC. in the switch, vlan 1 is down under "protocol" column, status is up, I further go to int vlan 1, no shut, but still down, how to resolve the issue?

4 Replies 4

petercinvest
Level 1
Level 1

in my windows 7 network connection\LAN, it shows unidentified network, any idea?

In Windows, if it does not get DHCP or DNS then it will not come up as an identified network.

Hello

First of all both pcs need to attached to the switch and enabled, Then assigned each an ip address from the vlan 1 range

As you say only 1 L3 interface is configured - VLAN 1, in this case
  -  Attach both pcs in ports on the switch DONT assign any Vlan to these ports ( by deafutl all ports are assigned to vlan 1) - make sure they are enabled

Then test connectivity again (  make sure your software FW is disabled on the windows pcs as they prohibit pings by default)

res

Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

devils_advocate
Level 7
Level 7

(1) int vlan 1, no shutdown, ip address 192.168.1.3 255.255.255.0

(2) port 5 configuration:

switchport access vlan 10

switchport mode access

(3) I have one PC connect to switch port 5,

See above, the line in red is your issue.

You gave Interface Vlan 1 an IP address of 192.168.1.3 but proceeded to put the port that connects to your PC in Vlan 10.

If you want your PC to have an IP address in Vlan 1 then you need to ensure your port is in Vlan 1.

The reason your SVI for vlan 1 is in a down state is because there are no active ports which need it to be up. The only active port you have is in Vlan 10 so there is no reason for the Vlan 1 SVI to need to be up.

Move Port 5 to Vlan 1 and you should be good to go.

Thanks

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card