Views
Helpful
Replies

VLAN Load Balancing with HSRP

sdasgupta
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I have tried to configure in such a way, so that 2 no.s of Core switch ( 4506 ) can act with ACTIVE-ACTIVE mode. I configred all odd VLAN's with high priority in Core-1 & all even VLAN's with high priority in Core-2, and respective odd or even VLAN's with low priority in Core-1 & Core-2 switch.

Now, that problem is.......I test the setup by Power ON & OFF both switches which are working fine. But, let say I keep admin shut down one of the odd vlan in Core-1, all the user in that VLAN can access only the odd VLAN's, can't communicate with even VLAN's at that time and vis-a-vis for even vlan can only act with even vlan only not with odd vlan.

My question.....is it fine and working like that only ....or any config with VLAN / Switch configure. Along with please also confirm if the config is fine for VLAN load balance in 2 Core switch.

NB:- The problem occures when I keep any odd / even VLAN in admin down mode for their high priority Switch. But working fine with all communication if any of the switch goes power off.

I have attached the config for Core-1 & Core-2 with related information.

15 Replies 15

milan.kulik
Level 10
Level 10

Hi,

I'd prefer HSRP ver 2 and possibly configure short HSRP timers plus would not use  standby delay minimum 0.

But nothing of those should  be required for HSRP to work generally.

What's the sh standby command output on both Core1 and Core2 at the moment you shutdown the int VLANx?

BR,

Milan

Hi Mailan,

Here is the output before & after admin VLAN down of VLAN 32 in Core-1:-

Before Shut Down:- for VLAN 32 ( Active in Core-1 with Priority 110, and standby in Core-2 priority 90 )
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Core_1#sh standby vlan 32
Vlan32 - Group 32
  State is Standby
    4 state changes, last state change 2d17h
  Virtual IP address is 172.16.32.1
  Active virtual MAC address is 0000.0c07.ac20
    Local virtual MAC address is 0000.0c07.ac20 (v1 default)
  Hello time 3 sec, hold time 10 sec
    Next hello sent in 0.176 secs
  Preemption enabled
  Active router is 172.16.32.3, priority 110 (expires in 10.112 sec)
  Standby router is local
  Priority 90 (configured 90)
  Group name is "hsrp-Vl32-32" (default)

Core_2#sh standby vlan 32
Vlan32 - Group 32
  State is Active
    2 state changes, last state change 2d17h
    Next hello sent in 0.640 secs
  Preemption enabled
  Active router is local
  Standby router is 172.16.32.2, priority 90 (expires in 9.520 sec)
  Priority 110 (configured 110)

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

After Admin Shut Down: VLAN 32 in Core_1
----------------------------------------

Core_1(config)#int vlan 32
Core_1(config-if)#shut
Core_1(config-if)#do sh standby vlan 32
Vlan32 - Group 32
  State is Init (interface down)
    5 state changes, last state change 00:00:16
  Active virtual MAC address is unknown
  Preemption enabled
  Active router is unknown
  Standby router is unknown

Core_2#sh standby vlan 32
Vlan32 - Group 32
  State is Active
    2 state changes, last state change 2d17h
    Next hello sent in 0.448 secs
  Preemption enabled
  Active router is local
  Standby router is unknown
  Priority 110 (configured 110)

Hi,

no, this is a wrong example.

You are saying:

"Before Shut Down:- for VLAN 32 ( Active in Core-1 with Priority 110, and standby in Core-2 priority 90 )
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Core_1#sh standby vlan 32
Vlan32 - Group 32
State is Standby
4 state changes, last state change 2d17h
Next hello sent in 0.176 secs
Preemption enabled
Active router is 172.16.32.3, priority 110 (expires in 10.112 sec)
Standby router is local

I.e., Core1 is Standby before the shutdown and just goes to Init after the shutdown.

But Core2 is Active all the time which is correct.

What I'd be interested in is the output before/after you shutdown int VLAN32 on Core2 - the HSRP higher priority L3 switch.

BR,

Milan

Hi Elvis,

I have all the required fine tuning like version, delay time etc.....here is the attached sh stndby output along with correct hsrp config for Core_1 & Core_2

Sujit

Hi,

I have noticed that you haven't configured the spanning-tree root. Do you have any other core switches in this Spanning tree domain.

You did not specify the port being used for the link between both the core-switches.

Also, post the "show spanning" output to get a better idea of the STP domain.

Regards,

Elvis

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Quote:

Hi All,

I  have tried to configure in such a way, so that 2 no.s of Core switch (  4506 ) can act with ACTIVE-ACTIVE mode. I configred all odd VLAN's with  high priority in Core-1 & all even VLAN's with high priority in  Core-2, and respective odd or even VLAN's with low priority in Core-1  & Core-2 switch.

Now,  that problem is.......I test the setup by Power ON & OFF both  switches which are working fine. But, let say I keep admin shut down one  of the odd vlan in Core-1, all the user in that VLAN can access only  the odd VLAN's, can't communicate with even VLAN's at that time and  vis-a-vis for even vlan can only act with even vlan only not with odd  vlan.

My  question.....is it fine and working like that only ....or any config  with VLAN / Switch configure. Along with please also confirm if the  config is fine for VLAN load balance in 2 Core switch.

NB:-  The problem occures when I keep any odd / even VLAN in admin down mode  for their high priority Switch. But working fine with all communication  if any of the switch goes power off.

I have attached the config for Core-1 & Core-2 with related information.

No that doesn't sound right .  You shutdown a odd vlan in core 1 this would make that subnet active in core 2 where all the even vlans are active and they should be able to talk to those users without an issue .  I would think it would be more likely you could not talk to the odd users now that the active side is core 2 for the shutdown vlan.  Check all the users default gateways on their pc's and make sure they are pointed  to the correct hsrp virtual ip address.

Hi Glen,

You are absolutely right.....it work like that only.

But I'm surprised how it could behaves like that.....the user are getting IP and all other details like gateway, dns etc,. from DHCP ( MS Server ) and it configured perfectly......

TY

Sujit

Hi,

Has your problem got resolved yet?

Have you configured the STP root appropriately for odd even vlans?

Configure the link between both switches as trunk and allow the necessary vlans on the trunk.

Let me know if that resolves the problem if not solved already.

Regards,

Elvis

Hi,

No, the problem not yet resolved......trying all possible way out.

" Configure the link between both switches as trunk and allow the

necessary vlans on the trunk " refering to your solution :-

Link betn Core switches are on Trunk....but not any " trunk allowed vlan

id " command because I need to ahave all the created VLAN's, please advice

me for any further steps...

Sujit

Hi,

Is it possible to post the output of "sh spanning" from both switches.

Have you configured the STP root appropriately for the for odd/even vlans in the core switches?

Regards,

Elvis

Hi Elvis,

I will post the required command output by tomorrow, but I didn't configured any additional command to set STP root for odd/even vlans.

Thnx

Sujit

OK. So for the traffic to pass efficiently, configure the root of those vlan on the switch as the HSRP primary.

eg

switch 1 is hsrp primary for vlan 1,3,5,7, then on switch 1 put the following commands

spanning-tree vlan 1,3,5,7 priority 4096

spanning-tree vlan 2,4,6,8 priority 8192

on switch 2

spanning-tree vlan 2,4,6,8 priority 4096

spanning-tree vlan 1,3,5,7 priority 8192

Ensure that the link between the switches is configured as trunk and all vlans are allowed on this trunk.

you can verify this with "show interface trunk"

Carry out the redundancy test again. note that the convergence time is 50 seconds. Post your show spanning after that.

Regards,

Elvis

OK, got your point....let me do this and update you ASAP

Thnx

Sujit

How did it all go mate??

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco