cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

vlan routing without setting interface ip?

stratmann83
Level 1
Level 1

Hello!

We got a layer3 switched network, with one vlan for every switch, routed by a cat4006.

Like that:

Switch1: vlan 101, 172.16.101.0/24

Switch2: vlan 102, 172.16.102.0/24

Switch3: vlan 103, 172.16.103.0/24

So can we put some ports on different switches in, let`s say vlan 50, with different ips? For example, Port 0/3 on Switch 1 and 0/8 on Switch 2, but keeping the ip of the "old" vlan? Or is it necessary to configure a specified vlan interface with ip-adress for every vlan if i want to route it?

thanks in advance

4 Replies 4

jawad-mukhtar
Level 4
Level 4

Yes You can do it.

Crate Vlan 50 on cat 4006

Assing IP address to Vlan 50

int vlan 50

ip addess 192.168.50.1/24

no shut

All Vlan 50 on Trunk Port Connected to Other Switchs

In Other Swithes Create Vlan 50

IP address in Other Switches is not Necessary.  It is used for Management purpose.

Add Prot in Vlan 50

In this way your Vlan 50 will be routable.

*** Do Rate Helpful Posts***

Jawad

I already created vlan 50 and added it to the trunks. I added the ip adress, but it doesnt work.  Why the adress 192...?!? I guess you meant 172.16.50.1 ? But I tried  both.

How will that work?!! Let´s say the device on the vlan 50 port is  a printer. It has the gateway 172.16.101.1 in vlan 101. Are you sure  this will work? With any known ip-adress in the ip range 172.16.101.x or  172.16.102.x ? I hope i explained that understandable. It´s not that  simple for me to explain the issue.

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

How the switches connect to the 4006 switch? Layer2 switchport or Layer3 routed port?

If the 4006 sits at the distribution block and your access switches are providing L3 reachability for end hosts,

in order to go from switch 1 to switch 2, the routing table in 4006 must have prefixes for both switches.

You can use an interior gateway protocol between all your switches to accomplish this or extend their respective

Vlans to the 4006 and create switch virtual interfaces for the corresponding Vlans.

The former eliminates Layer2 loops and makes the network more scalable while the later makes the process much simpler.

If you can provide a network topology, we can help you better.

Hello

Example of a L2 switched configuration

L3 switch

All the L3 interfaces (SVI's) for your vlans

IP routing enabled ( for intervlan routing)

Trunked interfaces for connection to the access switches

VTP configuration to distribute the L2 Vlan information to all access switches in the same vtp domain.

int vlan101 ( management vlan )
ip address 172.16.101.1 255.255.255.0

int vlan102
ip address x.x.x.x.x

int vlan103
ip address x.x.x.x.x

etc.....

Vlan101 -103 ( L2 vlan creation)

exit

vtp mode server

vtp domain TST

Int gig0/1

description link to access switch

switchport encapsulation dot1
switchport mode trunk

Access Switches:
Will have a L3 interface (SVI) of the managment subnet
Default -gateway address of the L3 SVI

Trunked interface for connection to the L3 switch

VTP to receive the L2 Vlan information from the L3 switch.

ip routing disabled ( if applicable)

int vlan101 ( management vlan )
ip address 172.16.101.2 255.255.255.0

ip default-gateway 172.16.101.1

vtp mode client

vtp domain TST

Int gig0/1

description link to L3 switch

switchport encapsulation dot1
switchport mode trunk

All the vlans created in the L3 switch should be propagated down to the access switches and providing you have the access ports on these switches designated to any specific vlan which had been created in the L3 switch, then connection between differant vlans will be established, as all intervlan traffic will be directed  upto the L3 switch onwards to its destiantion.

res

Paul

Please don't forget to rate this post if it has been helpful.

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card