Helpful
Replies

VLAN - SVI

eduangelo
Level 1
Level 1

Screenshot_6.png

Hi, people

I configure Router-on-a-Stick between router viena and switch viena-s1.
Now, i want Configure Management Interface at the switch s1.
I know that i will need configure a subinterface at the router viena.
But in the subinterface, do i need to configure with protocol 802.1q or swicthport mode acess ?

The interface, that switch league viena-s1 with router is configuring at the mode trunk, because the configure Router-on-a-Stick .

The my doubt is that i wil to need assign vlan of the managemment to the this interface and assign a ip.

I do not know,  is it possible configure a vlan at the acess mode , in the port that is configure at the trunk  mode ? 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

For your router on a stick configuration your main interface (Vienna Hq) port connecting to the switch will be emulating a Trunk port as it will be used for multi-vlan transportation.

Your switch port on Vienna Sw1 interconnecting your Vienna HQ Router will also be required to be configured as a Trunk port.

First of all you need to crate your management interface on your HQ router, see instructions, in this example I will be using vlan3 as management

int g0/0.3 (Change to your interface)

description Management VLAN

encapsulation dot1q 3

ip address 172.17.1.1 255.255.255.0

On your switch interface facing you HQ router

interface GigabitEthernet1/0/1
 description Interface Facing Vienna HQ
 switchport mode trunk

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q (Used for older model switches that supports both ISL and dot1q)

Create management  vlan  interface in Vienna SW1

interface vlan 3

ip address 172.17.1.2 255.255.255.0

Also add a default gateway to gain access from a different network : ip default-gateway 172.17.1.1

To gain access to the management vlan from an access port on your switch simply use the following commands

interface g0/0/X

switchport access vlan 3

Cheers

***Please Rate All Helpful Posts*

P.Williams

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Hulk8647
Level 1
Level 1

you need to configure 802.1q. (trunk) on the swtich

Deepak Kumar
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

You need 802.1q on both devices.

Regards,

Deepak Kumar

Regards,
Deepak Kumar,
Don't forget to vote and accept the solution if this comment will help you!

For your router on a stick configuration your main interface (Vienna Hq) port connecting to the switch will be emulating a Trunk port as it will be used for multi-vlan transportation.

Your switch port on Vienna Sw1 interconnecting your Vienna HQ Router will also be required to be configured as a Trunk port.

First of all you need to crate your management interface on your HQ router, see instructions, in this example I will be using vlan3 as management

int g0/0.3 (Change to your interface)

encapsulation dot1q 3

ip address 172.17.1.1 255.255.255.0

On your switch interface facing you HQ router

interface GigabitEthernet1/0/1
 description Interface Facing Vienna HQ
 switchport mode trunk

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q (Used for older model switches that supports both ISL and dot1q)

Create management  vlan  interface in Vienna SW1

interface vlan 3

ip address 172.17.1.2 255.255.255.0

Also add a default gateway to gain access from a different network : ip default-gateway 172.17.1.1

To gain access to the management vlan from an access port on your switch simply use the following commands

interface g0/0/X

switchport access vlan 3

Cheers

***Please Rate All Helpful Posts*

P.Williams

Hi, @Patrick.Williams

But this command :

interface g0/0/X
switchport access vlan 3

Do i should to use in the interface the switch Vienna SW1 ?

If you will be connecting a pc or any device on a port in your switch to have access to vlan 3 (Management vlan) yes.

P.Williams

Hi, @Patrick.Williams

But the vlan that I will create in the vienna switch, can it be associated with the port that connects to the vienna router?

Yes you can , you can create a vlan1 in your router by doing the following.

int g0/0.1

encapsulation dot1Q 1 native

ip address x.x.x.x

Note that vlan1 by default is untagged so any device connected to the switch that is in its default vlan will have access to the network assigned to the router. If you are running a DHCP server on your Vienna router in vlan 1 for example , clients that are connected to these ports will be assigned these address from your DHCP Pool.

P.Williams
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card