Views
Helpful
Replies

VLANs are not displayed in running config

csaravanan-sym
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We have Cisco 3750-48-TS switch. I created VLANs. I could see the vlans when I enter - show vlan

I dont see them when I enter - show run

What should I do so I can see them on Running config as well

The switch is running Cisco IOS 12.2 (50)SE 5

Thanks,

Chandru

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Chandru,

If you are running in VTP Server or VTP Client mode, the VLANs will not be visible in the running-config. You may verify them using show vlan command but the only place where their configuration is stored is in the flash:vlan.dat file. So what you are experiencing is actually normal.

VLANs will be visible in the running-config only if you change to VTP Transparent (or VTP off for VTPv3) mode.

Best regards,

Peter

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Chandru,

If you are running in VTP Server or VTP Client mode, the VLANs will not be visible in the running-config. You may verify them using show vlan command but the only place where their configuration is stored is in the flash:vlan.dat file. So what you are experiencing is actually normal.

VLANs will be visible in the running-config only if you change to VTP Transparent (or VTP off for VTPv3) mode.

Best regards,

Peter

OK. Thanks Paul

Chandru

Chandru,

You are welcome.

Best regards,

Peter

Hi Paul,

one more quick question. There was no VTP configuration at all on the switch.

Will VTP be enabled on an out of the box switch and also what is the default mode on them

yes after configuring the VTP mode Transparent, I was able to see the vlans on the running-config

Thanks,

Chandru

Hi Chandru,

Default VTP mode is Server.

Hello Chandru,

Manju is correct - the factory default for VTP is VTPv1, Server mode, domain name set to NULL (empty string).

Best regards,

Peter

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card