cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Voice Vlan Configuration

bsciarra1
Level 1
Level 1

I have a question about how to implement voice into my network.

Should I connect my L2 poe 2960 (for phones) into my 4507 catalyst and use intervlan routing to route between vlans.

Or should I connect my L2 poe 2960 into the empty fa0/1 port on my 3745 router.  (fa0/0 is the 4507).  This way my phone vlan is on one switch (2960), and my data vlan is on the other (4507), and they both go to the same router on two separate fa ports.  I tested and intervlan routing is happening on the 3745 router.

My question is given these two options is there a best practice I should be considering when deciding how to deploy?  I feel like the second option is better because the voice traffic can avoid the 4507 altogether.  But another consideration is I maybe overtaxing the 3745.  Any thoughts from anyone?

1 Reply 1

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You can use one port for both voice and data using your 2960 POE..  Connect the copper from the wall jack into your phone and then connect to phone to the PC. Use one vlan for voice and another one for data.

HTH

Reza

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card