cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

voice VLAN on EtherChannel conflict (2960-x)

tmourelle
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I have 2 2960-x switches.

On both switches:

I have a VLAN 50 (Data) configured on all interfaces and set as trunk native VLAN.

I also have a voice VLAN 42 configured on all interfaces.

I've created a port-channel on sw1 int range gi 1/0/47-48

I've created a port-channel on sw2 int range gi 1/0/23-24

This port-channel has been setup as a trunk allowed VLANs 50,42

SW1 set to Active LACP

SW2 set to Passive LACP

I'm getting a conflict error when connecting the switches saying that voice VLAN (42) is not compatible and that the interface has been suspended.

Is it even possible to have a voice VLAN on an EtherChannel and if so how do I fix this?

9 Replies 9

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

First question, why do you need Trunk configuration on the Edge switch port if you have only 2 VLAN which you know DATA and Voice - why not have Access port as best practice.

you need to post complete logs and show version and show run configuraion on both the switches

Etherchannel can carry Voice VLAN not an issue, the issue reported never come across so more information need here as i have asked about.

Etherchannel - make sure both the interface have same configuration to be part of Port-channel.

you can not have access port on that config.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hi,

Not all our kit runs on vlan 50 here. Its running on VLAN 1. I have setup vlan 50 Data so i can manage it easier and set native vlan to 50. I thought i was doing the right thing by changing the pvid to 50 so that it packets can still move through the switch regardless if their on vlan 1 or 50.

They are setup as access, just with native vlan of 50.

Now with this setup, when i goto create the ethernchannel, i get the error saying a voice-vlan conflicts and it has been suspended. When i remove the voice-vlan from the interfaces with he port channel it works fine. I need the etherchannel to carry voice-vlan though so this doesn't work.

In the attachment putty comm4 is sw 1 (this is a stack of 2 switches)

putty comm3 is sw2 (this is a 28port switch but same interfaces and model ect)

Friend there are two trunk 

Trunk:-  this need to config as trunk mode and allow vlan 50 and 42 and config native vlan without add voice vlan to it

This trunk will use between SW

And 

Mini trunk:- config as trunk mode' config native vlan and add voice vlan 

This use between SW and ipphone

Hello
Your port configuration isnt correct, either you are using trunks or access ports which is it, plus i do not see any L2 aggregation links (etherchannel)

Example 1:(access-port)
Default interface  gig2/0/31
interface gig2/0/31
switchport host
switchport voice vlan 42
switchport access vlan 50

Example 2:(trunk-port)
Default interface gig2/0/31
interface gig2/0/31
switchport mode trunk
switchport nonegotiate
switchport trunk allowed vlan 42.50
switchport trunk natve vlan 50

Example 3:(etherchannel-lacp trunk)
Default interface gig2/0/31
interface gig2/0/31
Channel-group 1 mode active

interface port 1
switchport mode trunk
switchport nonegotiate
switchport trunk allowed vlan 42.50
switchport trunk natve vlan 50

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Hi,

This is great thanks.

However, what I don't understand is how I set the PVID then.

The other switches (that I don't have access to configure) don't have VLAN 50 for data. They are using on all ports vlan 1 (untagged) and vlan 42 (tagged)

I thought setting the native vlan to 50 would mean that if the packet comes through untagged it would deafult to VLAN 50 and there would be no issues.

I think the concept you may be missing is that tagged/untagged is only relevant at the interface level. If the frame goes to a different port, that switch looks at the configuration of that port to determine whether the frame should be tagged or not. The "voice vlan" directive is really only for access ports. It does two things. It allows an access to port to accept tagged frames in a single VLAN, and it cause the switch to send CDP/LLDP information about it the attached device so it knows what tagged VLAN to use. You may be able to apply it to a trunk port, but it isn't really relevant there.

tmourelle
Level 1
Level 1

So how do i set the PVID of the switch to be vlan 50 across all ports??

How do i also know if ports are tagging frames with the vlan?

I don't know what you mean by PVID. In IOS/IOS-XE speak, the untagged vlan on an access port would be "switchport access vlan X". On a trunk port it would be "switchport trunk native vlan X".

The PVID is the default vlan that will be assigned to a packet if it comes through untagged. It will assume this PVID. I need the PVID to be 50 as i have setup data for vlan 50 and not for vlan 1. The other switches in the network #(that i don't have access to configure) don't have vlan 50 in their tables. They send packets out untagged and when they reach my switch i need to ensure that they are recognised on vlan 50 as vlan 1 on my switch is for management and its been disabled on the interfaces.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card