Views
Helpful
Replies

VSS and Stackwise

dhikra-marghli8
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

i want to know why VSS is work in mode clutser  ?  can VSS work in mode active -standby ?

and  why Stackwise  work with master , membre .?

i wait a reply  from  expert switch .

Thanks 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

M02@rt37
VIP
VIP

Hello @dhikra-marghli8 

In VSS, the cluster mode is the default and primary operational mode.
VSS operates as a single logical switch with both chassis actively forwarding traffic. Both switches in the VSS pair are actively forwarding traffic, providing load balancing and high availability.

VSS, by design, doesn't have a strict "active-standby" mode like some other high-availability technologies. In VSS, both switches are generally active for forwarding traffic, offering better utilization of resources.
The concept of active-standby is more common in technologies like high availability (HA) firewalls, where one unit is active while the other is in standby.

As concerned stackwise, it is a stacking technology used in cisco catalyst switches, allowing multiple physical switches to operate as a single logical unit.
In a Stackwise configuration, one switch is elected as the "master," and the others become "members."
The master switch manages the stack, and the stack operates as a single switch with combined resources.
This architecture simplifies management and enhances redundancy by allowing traffic to flow through multiple paths.

Best regards
.ı|ı.ı|ı. If This Helps, Please Rate .ı|ı.ı|ı.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

VSS is old tech the new is stackwise virtual 
and both data plane of SW is forward traffic but for STP (BPDU) and IGP and other control plane only the active (master) is handle it.
MHM

My  question i want to konw 

why VSS is work in mode clutser  ?  can VSS work in mode active -standby ?

and  why Stackwise  work with master , membre .?

thanks

VSS or stackwise use single control plane and two data planes
the two data planes both can forward data (cluster)
VSS can not use for active-standby. 
for third Q I dont get it 
MHM

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The term VSS and Stackwise Virtual are the same. 

VSS is used to denote a pair of chassis that operates in classic IOS. 

Stackwise Virtual denotes platform operating in IOS-XE.

M02@rt37
VIP
VIP

Hello @dhikra-marghli8 

In VSS, the cluster mode is the default and primary operational mode.
VSS operates as a single logical switch with both chassis actively forwarding traffic. Both switches in the VSS pair are actively forwarding traffic, providing load balancing and high availability.

VSS, by design, doesn't have a strict "active-standby" mode like some other high-availability technologies. In VSS, both switches are generally active for forwarding traffic, offering better utilization of resources.
The concept of active-standby is more common in technologies like high availability (HA) firewalls, where one unit is active while the other is in standby.

As concerned stackwise, it is a stacking technology used in cisco catalyst switches, allowing multiple physical switches to operate as a single logical unit.
In a Stackwise configuration, one switch is elected as the "master," and the others become "members."
The master switch manages the stack, and the stack operates as a single switch with combined resources.
This architecture simplifies management and enhances redundancy by allowing traffic to flow through multiple paths.

Best regards
.ı|ı.ı|ı. If This Helps, Please Rate .ı|ı.ı|ı.

Thanks for your answer and you explication

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card