Views
Helpful
Replies

VSS on 4500x

Robin Swan
Level 1
Level 1

Good Morning,

On 2 brand new "out-of-the-box" switches, I want to configure VSS for the distribution layer for redundancy.  Do I have to configure the second switch too, or will it automatically populate off of the "priority" sw 1?

Thank you in Advance.

11 Replies 11

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

Initially you configure the second switch.  Once you convert to VSS and it is all working, from that point you only configure the primary switch (switch-1).

HTH

Thank you for the quick responses guys!

Can I simply do a "copy tftp ..." over to the second switch then run the VSS commands?

Also, they are both 1U 16 port switches.  Can I put the VSL config on the same ports on both switches; eg: int range "t1/15 - 16", on sw1 and sw2?

To go a little further in the question, do I absolutely have to name each switch differently in the initial configs such as sw1 and sw2?  example: hostname "engineer_4500x_sw1" or can it read "engineer_4500x"; and hostname "engineer_4500x_sw2" to read engineer_4500x".

Not sure what you are asking about copy tftp ?

Yes you can use the same ports on each switch. Once it has been converted to run VSS then the switch chassis number will be placed before the actual slot/port number to distinguish between the switches.

As far as I an aware you need different names for the switches, not sure why you would want to use the same one.

Perhaps Reza can comment.

Jon

In regards to your question:  Not sure what you are asking about copy tftp ?

What I meant was, can I copy the config off of sw1 to a tftp server, then run a copy tftp run the copy run start on sw2, then run the VSS commands?

Oh yeah! would it be a good idea to set the switch priority on the switches?

What I meant was, can I copy the config off of sw1 to a tftp server, then run a copy tftp run the copy run start on sw2, then run the VSS commands?

As I said before, there aren't that many line that you need to add to switch 2.

You can simply copy the config from switch-1 to notepad, make the changes you need and than pate in to switch-2.

Oh yeah! would it be a good idea to set the switch priority on the switches?

no need for priority.  If you boot both switches at the same time, switch-1 will always be the primary.

HTH

hi Guys,

I too have a similar question. Just received a pair of 4500X 16Ten G out-of-the-box switches. I have configured verbatim the example in the link

https://supportforums.cisco.com/document/124626/virtual-switching-system-vss-configuration-cisco-4500-series-switches

The best i can get is "active active" with console message cannot execute command in remote as it is not in SSO standby state. I want to bind these two chasis using VSS and then associate the two [physical] switches with a 3 switch stack of 3650's using MEC.In a time bind at moment any reasonable suggestions welcome. Thanks

discovered my own answer.

i revereted to base config then re applied step-by-step.

i resolved the issue by not connecting the two switches until both were fully configured and had rebooted. then connecting each 10G cable in sequence the config brought the VSL up in a happy state. thought i would share.

Can I simply do a "copy tftp ..." over to the second switch then run the VSS commands?

Not sure what you are asking.  The initial config for the second switch is a few commands. (host name, portchannel config and maybe a could of other commands). You don't need tftp or anything like that.  Remember there is no need to add any major config to the second switch because once VSS is formed it will overwrite the old config. 

Also, they are both 1U 16 port switches.  Can I put the VSL config on the same ports on both switches; eg: int range "t1/15 - 16", on sw1 and sw2?

Yes, that would be perfect.  I always do that.

To go a little further in the question, do I absolutely have to name each switch differently in the initial configs such as sw1 and sw2?  example: hostname "engineer_4500x_sw1" or can it read "engineer_4500x"; and hostname "engineer_4500x_sw2" to read engineer_4500x".

You can name them whatever you like. Once VSS is configured, it is all logically one device.

HTH

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Robin

You need some minimal configuration on second switch when you setup VSS.

Once you have them up and running as a VSS pair then your L2 and L3 configuration is done only on the active switch.

See this link for the initial setup -

https://supportforums.cisco.com/document/124626/virtual-switching-system-vss-configuration-cisco-4500-series-switches

Jon

Robin Swan
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you both very much!  You are extremely helpful.

Glad to help Robin.

Good Luck.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card