cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VTP configuration file

jasonwirz
Level 1
Level 1

My company deploys are large number of devices so we generate all our switch configuration files with scripts. Is it possible to have the VTP commands as part of our configs? I've been testing this and receiving the error "%The VTP Password cannot be changed until after the system configuration has been

read". I receive this when the switch is booting. Upon inspection of the configuration file and the vtp status, the vtp commands are disregarded during startup. I know if I manually cut and paste the configuration in I'm fine. TFTP is just so much more convenient for the number of devices we send out. Any suggestions?

1 Reply 1

Hi,

When you send the copy of configuration(startup-config) file using tftp, you should also include vlan.dat file for the same switch. vlan.dat file holds all vtp related info into a database format for server and clients. If your switches run intransparent mode then vtp info is part of the actual config.

HTH

Shaheen

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card