cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VTP domain management network adding Juniper switch

dazza007
Level 1
Level 1

I have a question about adding a new switch to our fleet of cisco switches and having issues in that I am trying to get routing via a cisco core on a Juniper switch via the cisco management vlan

The switch has a VTP domain with its interface setup as the management vlan. 

I can only get traffic via the management vlan by adding the VTP credentials to a cisco new switch and adding the vlan onto the switch and putting a static route on the switch to the core. I don't have this option with a non-cisco switch. The core is set as a server in version 1. 

I managed to get vlan information from the cisco core on the Juniper switch but cannot get traffic between the locally connected cisco core from the juniper core. I have next-hopped to the firewall, but would like to next-hop to the routing on the cisco core. 

I understand that Cisco is proprietary and have setup a working trunk for a migration, but is there something I am missing about routing to the local switch. 

This is what I have tried 

switchport trunk allowed vlan 100-103,110,304,911,996-999
switchport trunk native vlan <management vlan>
switchport mode trunk
switchport nonegotiate
no cdp enable

juniper EX4600 (ELS)

native-vlan-id <management vlan>;
unit 0 {
family ethernet-switching {
interface-mode trunk;
vlan {
members [ DomainServices Firewall HyperVMgmt ilo Management migration native Voice Wired3 Wired4 Cisco ];
}
}
}

The Juniper has vstp vlan/interface all

With a route 0.0.0.0/00 <local cisco management ip>

Any ideas are welcome

6 Replies 6

Can I see show interface trunk

This is what i have with a different native vlan. 

sh interfaces te1/7 trunk

Port Mode Encapsulation Status Native vlan
Te1/7 on 802.1q trunking 998

Port Vlans allowed on trunk
Te1/7 100-103,110,304,710,911,996-999

Port Vlans allowed and active in management domain
Te1/7 100-103,110,304,710,911,996-999

Port Vlans in spanning tree forwarding state and not pruned
Te1/7 911

As I guess' vtp pruned the vlan from trunk.

Disable pruned ( not recommend if other SW use it)

Or use 

Switchport trunk pruning vlan add x y z 

Also for native I dont get' is it match or not in both side ?

Thank you 

There is pruning, Upon enabling the interface, I see a broadcast (ffff.ffff.ffff.ffff) and then see mac addresses then they vanish.

For compatibility I am running VSTP on the Junos however there is evidently incompatibility on the native vlan and vlan 1 on cisco and junos. (Vlan 1 is shutdown on the Cisco core) It is suggested that native vlans and vlan 1 should run RSTP on Junos.

In order to get STP to work 

miaalice405
Level 1
Level 1

I'm aslo facing same issue from couple of days, Did you get any answer yet?

@MHM Cisco World is correct about disabling VTP pruning. If everything doesn't run VTP, then pruning will not work correctly. I haven't used the "Switchport trunk pruning vlan" commands, so you should look those up. You can also disable pruning globally.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card