cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

[VTP] IS VTP WORTH IT?

169.254.X.Y
Level 1
Level 1

I am currently studying for ICND1. I recently learned about VTP. My net instructor told me that VTP is useful in large networks since I don't have to manually confiure the VLANS on each switch. But, I honestly cannot see that as a merit since VTP is too risky especially in large networks. In my class, I am the only one who believes benefits or merits of using VTP do not overwiegh the possible risks. Thus, I think VTP is pretty useless in small networks and too risky in large networks. So I am wondering is VTP worth it? Also do CISCO network engineers use VTP in real life? If they don't use it, do they just leave VTP mode as 'server' or change it to 'transparent'? If you believe, merits of using VTP overwieght the possible risks, please convince me. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Pawan Raut
Level 4
Level 4

Use of VTP is completely depend on Network topology. It provide the ease for administration but agagin it add risk so need to be very clearfully for making changes on VTP server or adding new switch in newtork.

From my experiance beacuse of thsi risk factor very few organisation prefere it and it leaves the switches as VTP tranperant mode. But it is very cool to learn the all networking things then only one can argument shall we use this technology or not in our network.

Kindly rate for helpful post.

Regards,

Pawan (CCIE#52104)

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Pawan Raut
Level 4
Level 4

Use of VTP is completely depend on Network topology. It provide the ease for administration but agagin it add risk so need to be very clearfully for making changes on VTP server or adding new switch in newtork.

From my experiance beacuse of thsi risk factor very few organisation prefere it and it leaves the switches as VTP tranperant mode. But it is very cool to learn the all networking things then only one can argument shall we use this technology or not in our network.

Kindly rate for helpful post.

Regards,

Pawan (CCIE#52104)

Thank you very much for your awesome explanations. As you already mention, I guess whether or not to use VTP depend on network topology, my knowledge, and educated decision :) Again, I really appreciate!

Kindly rate for helpful post :)

tedmittelstaedt
Level 1
Level 1
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card