cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VXLAN and gateway

Leftz
Level 4
Level 4

Hello, Two users contact each other over VXLAN. I notice the user config is like the below. The user config use router to simulate user pc without gateway setting up. Is this correct? Thanks 

hostname HostA
!
interface GigabitEthernet2
 mac-address 0000.5e00.5365
 ip address 192.168.12.101 255.255.255.0
!
end

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Right, the underlying VXLAN make both PC connect, but here you dont need GW since both PC same subnet 192.168.12.0/24.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Depends on the Topology or lab setup you working.

yes that is for end device, should work.

Note : this only addressed your question.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

""The user config use router to simulate user pc without gateway setting up. Is this correct? ""
this is not all config, the router must also disable ip routing, and for your Q the answer you can do that, 
the different between config GW and not config GW is type of ARP send 
if you config GW then router will send ARP ask MAC of GW, and use this MAC to connect all IP out it subnet 
if you not config GW then the router will send what we called proxy ARP, and use the MAC it receive to connect IP (not all) out it subnet, i.e. for each IP out it subnet the router send proxy ARP.

Leftz
Level 4
Level 4

Thanks for your reply. My question is from the below diagram where there is VXLAN over the three routers. so that we think its not necessary to have gateway on each of two PCs because we just think the three router create a layer2 tunnel and two PC can think there is cable to connect the two PCs, right? 

Capture.PNG

Right, the underlying VXLAN make both PC connect, but here you dont need GW since both PC same subnet 192.168.12.0/24.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card