cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Weird 4500X v 2960X issue

sdawson35
Level 1
Level 1

so we have a stack of 8 x 2960X switches with te1/0/1 and 4/0/1 configured as trunked uplinks to our 4500X core (both using 10GBase-SR sfp's) , works fine no issues.

We also have 3 additional 2960X switches hung off of gi1/0/50, 2/0/50 and 3/0/50 also trunked and working fine (using 1000BaseSX sfp's).

However when i move these to the core they fail to connect , the core recognizes the 100BaseSX sfp and throws up no errors , yet no connection (Line down/protocol down) is made , put them back in the 2960 and they come up straight away.

Anybody got any idea's ?? (please)

7 Replies 7

rasmus.elmholt
Level 7
Level 7

Hi

Is it original Cisco SFPs?
I have seen the same with a bunch of PeakOptical SFPs where they either wasn't recognized or the SFP was recognized but the link didn't come up. The SFPs worked fine on other platforms or other switches(2960x-24 ports vs. 2960x-48 ports)
After I exchanged with some SFPs(PeakOptical as well) with a different revision number/firmware version it worked.

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Hi
4500x Support 1000SX as below , they work in mine are the TX/RX fibres matching up can you see the light when you look down the fibre , try cross the fibre pair , you have a L1 issue , either SFP/Fibre

#sh ver | i 4500X
License Information for 'WS-C4500X-16'
cisco WS-C4500X-16 (MPC8572) processor (revision 9) with 4194304K bytes of physical memory.
MPC8572 CPU at 1.5GHz, Cisco Catalyst 4500X
1#sh int t2/1/12 | i SX
Full-duplex, 1000Mb/s, link type is auto, media type is 1000BaseSX
xir-b100uds01#

NEVER look into a fiber cable... It can damage the eye.
Use the right tools to measure the effect in the fibre cable.
Do the show interface transceiver show any receive effect?

doing it years never had an issue just be careful doing it , most users wont have a fibre tool handy to test with
that command will only work on switches that support DOM and the SFP must too to be able to support it too

"doing it years never had an issue . . ."

On what kind of optics? Reason I ask, it believe that's a very bad idea with the more powerful laser based optics, such as ERs.

most just the 1GB SM-MMD or SR 10GBs multi mode i wouldn't do it on a single mode , i just cuff the top of the fibre and check can i see the light , then cross the fibre to match

Hi All,

Thanks for the responses !, Issue was finally resolved in a very round about way.

1. fibre between devices was mixed, some single mode and some multimode , once we had worked out what was what and corrected the also incorrect patch leads we had some success.

2. purchased some genuine Cisco labelled SFP's NOT SFP+'s.

So moral of the story match correct fibre types and patch leads  - dont assume that what you are told is correct and buy genuine. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card