cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

What forwarding performance does SUP2T provide with CFC enabled line cards?

aacole
Level 5
Level 5

All the architecture documentation talks about performance with DFC4 enabled line cards, no figures for use with CFC.

As I'm upgrading existing chassis that support a number of 6748 CFC based cards if the SUP2T offers increased centralized forwarding then a DFC4 upgrade may not be required. These are to be used as layer 2 aggregation nodes in an SP network.

I'm planning to install DFC4 based 10G modules for the up links and retain the CFC modules for the 1G cards, does this look okay?

Andy

6 Replies 6

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

I recall (?) the sup2T has a 60 Mpps rating.

Whether that is sufficient for your non-DFC line cards depends on overall traffic flow.  Minimum size Ethernet uses 1.488 Mpps per 1 Gbps.  (Mpps needs drop with larger packet sizes for the same bandwidth.)

I had seen that figure quoted for the Sup2T, although I understand that to be the individual line card packet per second forwarding rate when using dCEF via DFC's.

So I watched a Cisco Live presentation this morning on the 6500 architecture, much was covered, but not the forwarding rate when using CFC modules!

I think its still 30Mpps, in the section on CFC modules and the difference between the two supervisors (720 vs 2T) no mention was made of any improvement in CFC based forwarding rate. I'm sure the opportunity would have been taken to announce an improvement if available.

Since then I've found someone who is going to ask a product expert at Cisco, so I'll update this when I have the details. 

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

It's 60 Mpps for the PFC4 or the DFC4, see "PFC/DFC4 Overview" in http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-6500-series-switches/white_paper_c11-652029.html

You might also find of interest: http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/products/collateral/switches/cisco6500_sup2t_testreport.pdf

Finally had confirmation, CFC mode with Sup2T is still 30Mpps.

Disclaimer

Liability Disclaimer

Posting

Oh, where?

Reason I ask, because of your question, I recently was looking again at datasheets for 6500 sups and found 30 Mpps for sup720Bs, 48 Mpps for VS-S720 and 60 Mpps for sup2Ts.  (I'm sure you're now wondering where - well I would have to find it again, but I didn't noted its location as it agreed with what I already posted.)

Disclaimer

Liability Disclaimer

Posting

See Table 10 in: http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-6500-series-switches/white_paper_c11-676346.html#_Toc390815335

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card