cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

When will %SW_MATM-4-MACFLAP_NOTIF: be generated?

Myky
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys,

We got this:

flaps.PNG

We want to understand when the switch marks MAC  "flap"? Is there some sort of timer? 

It s normal for the MAC address to be learned on one port and then another, but I get it's when MAC moves very quickly back switch generates this log entry. What is the logic/timer behind this?

Thanks,

Misha

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

David Nolasco
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

It might be expected to see MAC move/flap notifications when it comes to wireless as users are moving around.

The MAC-move counter notification generates a syslog message when the number of MAC moves in a VLAN exceeds the maximum limit. The maximum limit is 1000 MAC moves. *** Please refer to specific platform.

What type of devices do you have connected to those ports in the logs?

What is the purpose of vlans 251 and 252?

Regards

David N.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

David Nolasco
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

It might be expected to see MAC move/flap notifications when it comes to wireless as users are moving around.

The MAC-move counter notification generates a syslog message when the number of MAC moves in a VLAN exceeds the maximum limit. The maximum limit is 1000 MAC moves. *** Please refer to specific platform.

What type of devices do you have connected to those ports in the logs?

What is the purpose of vlans 251 and 252?

Regards

David N.

Hi David, 

Thanks for your response!

We got: C9500-48Y4C, version 17.03.03

We know why we got flaps as there was constant failover from active to passive box (Meraki MXs). 
It's a separate issue, for now, I just wanted to understand how those messages get generated, and I think you answered it.

btw, how can I view that setting: sh running-config all | i 1000 or something?

Thanks,

Misha

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card