cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Why does sh run scroll by?

ValleyITPC
Level 1
Level 1

Just something I've noticed happen randomly, though II havce no idea how or why, butusually wen you do sh run it tops after a screen and you hit eithe rspace or enter to move to the next bit of output, yet once in a 1000 times the router decides to just sscroll the whole sh run by without breaks.  The only solution I've found is to reload the router. 

Happens in all version of IOS, including the 15. x ones.  Anybody know the mystery? 

7 Replies 7

nawas
Level 4
Level 4

I think it is setting in the secure CRT if you are using it.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

I'll remember that for nxt time.  Though this would be something that begins happening on a router that wans't having the problem say, five minutes before.  I must be triggering it somehow.  In either case I'll look for that length parameter.  Thanks! 

Sorry I got my replies mixed up.  I have no idea what secure CRT is but I don't beleive I've used/enabled this.  The problem starts and stops on a router with no changes to term length or other related configs, but next time it does happen I want to see what's listed under the vty and cons lines. 

If it's not always the same router, then probably it has nothing to do with the lengt-command. If you encounter that problem, have you tried to log out, close the terminal-program and log in again?

Secure CRT is BTW a very good terminal-program: www.vandyke.com/products/securecrt

-- 
Don't stop after you've improved your network! Improve the world by lending money to the working poor:
http://www.kiva.org/invitedby/karsteni

Thanks! I will check that out.  I guess it makes sense that length would not suddenly show up - resetting the terminal connectionmight be the trick.  As I said, reloading the router fixes the problem, so I will next time see if termintating the terminal program will accomplish the same.  Not sure though if closing the term program releases the connection between COM and console port.  But I will see either way. 

I will check out SecureCRT, sounds good. 

Take a look at the config of the routers that show that behaviour. If there is something like

line vty 0 4

length 0

then you have the same as if you set terminal length 0. The paging is disabled and there won't be a page-break.

-- 
Don't stop after you've improved your network! Improve the world by lending money to the working poor:
http://www.kiva.org/invitedby/karsteni

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I agree that the description of the symptoms suggests an issue with term length. As suggested in a previous post the terminal length can be set in the configuration. And in this case it is permanent and affects all session on this line. But the terminal length can also be set in a command line command. And in this case it affects only the current session and the default behavior will start again on a new session or after reboot.

Based on the description of the symptoms I do not believe that the change is in the config file. I suggest that if the symptoms start again that you do the show line command and look for a line whose length is zero.

HTH

Rick

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card