Views
Helpful
Replies

Why VLANs are not being shown?

turtle666
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings!

So I was practicing to configure VTP and VLANs. For a start, I created 3 switches (only 2 being turned on). The trunks are working fine as the switches are able to acquire an IP addresses via dhcp from a dedicated router and vtp appears to be in synced.

My question is why is it that only 4 VLANs are being shown while the command 'show vlan bri' tells me there are 8 and I know for a fact that that might be case because I created more than 3 but can't remember their names/numbers?

I've attached the screen shot hoping that someone might be able to shed a light on this.

Thanks a lot!

vlans.png

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

M02@rt37
VIP
VIP

Hello @turtle666 

You have in fact 8 VLAN because VLAN id 1, 1002, 1003, 1004 and 1005 are built-in VLAN. Meaning reserved VLAN by the system. Can not delete them ! The system take them into account. So these 5 reserved VLAN plus your three VLAN (10,20,100) give you 8 VLAN.

VLAN 1 = default vlan

VLAN 1002 to 1005 = reserved vlan

Best regards
.ı|ı.ı|ı. If This Helps, Please Rate .ı|ı.ı|ı.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

M02@rt37
VIP
VIP

Hello @turtle666 

You have in fact 8 VLAN because VLAN id 1, 1002, 1003, 1004 and 1005 are built-in VLAN. Meaning reserved VLAN by the system. Can not delete them ! The system take them into account. So these 5 reserved VLAN plus your three VLAN (10,20,100) give you 8 VLAN.

VLAN 1 = default vlan

VLAN 1002 to 1005 = reserved vlan

Best regards
.ı|ı.ı|ı. If This Helps, Please Rate .ı|ı.ı|ı.

Hi M02@rt37 thank you for your reply. I didn't know that the built-in VLANs 100{2..5} are included in the show cmd. I must have mistaken in thinking that I have created other "missing" VLANs. That is probably due to me adding/removing stuff and got mixed up somehow. Also, I cross-checked it with PacketTracer and found out that a brand-new switch has indeed 5 builtin VLANs.

Show vlan breif 

Is show vlan1 + any vlan you add later 

For show vtp 

I will check why it appear 8' it can ad M02@rt37 mention

MHM

'show vlan bri' is the last command I issued after I created all my vlans.

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
 because I created more than 3 but can't remember their names/numbers?

when you created more then 3 VLAN, that should appear in the output

check with show run  see if that new vlan you created appears on the config ?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hi @balaji.bandi I'm still preparing for ccna but if I'm not mistaken vlans created by operator will only appear in 'show run' if the switch is in transparent mode. I'm happy to be be corrected, though. Thanks.

I was referring the switch where the VTP Serer ( client automatically replicate from VTP Server) - as i see the revision 1 

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Or in off (if supported) mode or if VTP not configured too, I recall.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card