Views
Helpful
Replies

Will PC connected to trunk port works?

getaway51
Level 2
Level 2

Hi,

Can I say tht a PC connected to trunk port will only works provided there is a native vlan configured and the PC traffic will fall under this native vlan? By default Cisco switch has native vlan 1, not sure abt other brands like huawei or HP.

7 Replies 7

Hello,

both Huawei and HP use Vlan 1 as the default Vlan. Whether your PC can connect on a trunk with a Vlan other than the native Vlan depends on whether the NIC supports 802.1Q. You can easily find out if your NIC does by (in Windows) checking the 'Advanced' tab of your network adapter properties, if there is a 'Vlan ID' field, that means the NIC supports 802.1Q.

Hi,

Do you mean the PC will nego 802.1Q trunking if the switch configured trunking port?

Not sure if this is the VLAN settings you mentioned.

pcvlan.JPG

Hello,

I think the field is 'Vlan ID' which I don't see in your screenshot. The field should allow you to set a Vlan number...

Vlan tagging is enabled so will support trunking , will not strip 802.1Q tags!  that's what you need, right?
not sure if you can assign vlan id to that particular interface. i don't recall seeming any other option on any regular PCs. maybe servers would have it

The objective would be PC or laptop NIC can support 802.1Q trunking when switch port configure port mode trunk.

Also when switch configure port access mode, PC will not run trunk mode. Not sure if it's correct to say PC can do auto-negotiate or something else.

My laptop is latest windows 10 2020 but it cant find any field of vlan id. It just have something like VLAN enabled.

Good Morning,

You should have another option further down as Georg Pauwen mentioned and it looks like the below: (image below)

BenRabbit_0-1676893354240.png

Not all NICs have this option though so you may not always see this option.

@getaway51 wrote:

The objective would be PC or laptop NIC can support 802.1Q trunking when switch port configure port mode trunk.

Also when switch configure port access mode, PC will not run trunk mode. Not sure if it's correct to say PC can do auto-negotiate or something else.

My laptop is latest windows 10 2020 but it cant find any field of vlan id. It just have something like VLAN enabled.

There is no setting that would allow auto negotiation of this you will need to assign VLAN ID every time.

Thank you,

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

"Can I say tht a PC connected to trunk port will only works provided there is a native vlan configured and the PC traffic will fall under this native vlan?"

Without getting into VLAN tagging on the PC side (as mentioned in other posts), yes I believe the PC should work with a trunk port, and with the PC and Cisco trunk exchanging untagged frames (i.e. the native VLAN, on the Cisco trunk).

However, PC (without tagging enabled) should consider all tagged frames as bad/invalid.

As you seem to be aware, as a Cisco trunk can defines the native VLAN to be whatever VLAN is desired, the PC isn't limited to just "being on" VLAN 1 (pretty much the same as a host, on a Cisco access port is "on" whatever VLAN has been assigned to that port).

BTW, I'm unaware of a way to not have a native VLAN on a Cisco trunk, although, I guess, you could not allow it on the trunk (which should, I believe, prevent a PC host from being able to effectively "connect" using a trunk port).

"By default Cisco switch has native vlan 1, not sure abt other brands like huawei or HP."

I believe, often, many/most other vendors' "trunks" (different terminology often used by other vendors) do not support untagged frames, i.e. there is not a "native" VLAN.

BTW, I understand, Cisco native VLANs will also accept VLAN tagged frames, with the native VLAN's ID, but, of course, untagged frames are considered to also belong to the native VLAN.  (Cisco might also accept tagged frames, w/o a VLAN ID, to be native too.)

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card