cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Windows 7 machines not getting DHCP IP !!!!URGENT!!!!!!

mohsinalizai
Level 1
Level 1

We are having a very strange problem , that is we have a lan with 16  vlans and all the vlans have different DHCP for each vlan in the  coreswitch (Cisco 6509) and all the clients in the 16 vlans are windows 7  clients , now the problem is that some machines  are not getting IP Addresses , but if we see the registry settings in  those machines we see that there is an ip address given by the dhcp  server  in the following key of registery

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\THE RELATED NETWORK CARD KEY

this ip is not being shown in the network settings instead  APIPA ip 169.245.*.* is shown here ,

DHCP server configuration are check and verified and they are also ok  , packets are also captured which show the whole process of DCHP  request is ok and dhcps in the core switch is replying back with the ip  address to the machines mac address and that same  ip can be seen in the above given registry value.

Kindly help as soon as possible as already alot of time is wasted in tracing this issue.

36 Replies 36

firmware is not issue as machines having this problem have dofferent lan cards ,

Are all the non working machines Windows 7? and are all working machines not Windows 7?

Regards.

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

yes all non working ,, are win 7 .. you cant say non working because some win7 machines are working fine ,, but non win 7 machines never have this issue

Is there a difference between the working and non working windows 7 machines: 64 vs 32, release version, updates  ?

Regards.

no not standard win7 non working machines hav variable specs , some 32 some 64 some updated some not .

Hi,

Can you post sh ip dhcp binding | in 01b8.ac6f

Regards.

MAG-CORESW#sh ip dhcp bind
MAG-CORESW#sh ip dhcp binding | in 01b8.ac6f
10.10.10.32      01b8.ac6f.1c1e.b7       Mar 08 2011 05:06 PM    Automatic
10.10.10.65      01b8.ac6f.246c.e0       Mar 08 2011 04:47 PM    Automatic
10.10.40.47      01b8.ac6f.1c29.13       Mar 08 2011 02:58 PM    Automatic
10.10.41.63      01b8.ac6f.1ba2.be       Mar 08 2011 05:47 PM    Automatic
10.10.161.78     01b8.ac6f.1bd9.39       Mar 08 2011 06:09 PM    Automatic

10.10.10.65      01b8.ac6f.246c.e0       Mar 08 2011 04:47 PM    Automatic

Isn't this one of the weird windows 7? Can you ping this IP from your dhcp server ? if yes check arp cache on dhcp server.

If I remember well this is the interface which kept requesting 10.10.10.38 and which didn't get it?

Regards.

Can you reload the switch?? How long does this switch hasve been up??1 year??few days??months??save your config and do a reload and check.

Regards,

just yesterday i reloded when my ideas regarding this problem ended

just yesterday i reloded when my ideas regarding this problem ended

What do you  mean?

Regards.

Have you tried disabling any unecessary network adapters on the Win7 Clients, i.e. TAPI Adapters, VPN Adapters, VMWare Bridging Adapters.

I noticed on your ipconfig output you had a VMNet1 interface which is normally the product of VMWare Workstation or are your Windows 7 machines VM's?

Have you tried disabling IPv6 if it's not in use? I have seen issues with Win7 when IPv6 has been enabled and only IPv4 is in use but it's not likely...

Sounds like Duncan is on the right track, You could also update the NIC drivers.

Can the workstations ping 127.0.0.1?  Another way to verify the ip stack on the win7 boxes is to statically assign IP addresses corresponding to the appropriate vlans of course and then attempt pings to the core.

Since you stated the win7 boxes effected are a mixed bag i look into a software conflict, i.e. vmware trying to share the same NIC.

That's the one I needed, thanks!

Try the next solution for this problem:

1.- Reset the socket. From a DOS terminal (Run cmd.exe):

netsh winsock reset

2.- Open a Devices Manager (Run devmgmt.msc):

3.- Expands the 'Networks Adapters' 'section. Right click on adapter in use and select 'Unistall' option.

4.- Reboot the system. Now, Windows detects and reinstalls the adapter.

I hope it works out for you.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: