Views
Helpful
Replies

Wrong Image on Switch

ed.crawford
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All:

I inadvertantly copy the wrong image on to a 35609-X switch and now it gets stuck in a particular mode.

The original image was:  c3560e-universalk9-mz.122-53.SE2/c3560e-universalk9-mz.122-53.SE2.bin

and I replaced it with: c3560e-universalk9npe-mz.122-55.SE1.bin ( this is what the download site identifies as the image for 3560X-24P-S)

It now sticks at:  Front-end Microcode IMG MGR: Programming device 0...rrrrrrwssssssssssssssssssspssssssssssssssss

How can I get back on to delete this image?  It ignores the break key.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Girish Devgan
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Ed,

With new IOS version you will see microcode getting updated which will take 30-45 minutes when switch booted first time but switch will take normal time to boot afterwards. Actually, The switches have a small MCU(MicroController Unit) to offload processing of some of the hardware interfaces like POE , Fan, power supply etc. (the actual details vary by SKU).Programming front end

microcode should only happen once when upgrading to a higher version with newer microcode.

So Lets wait once switch booted with wrong IOS, then change the IOS image.

Let me know if that works and rate the reply.

Girish Devgan

View solution in original post

17 Replies 17

Girish Devgan
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Ed,

With new IOS version you will see microcode getting updated which will take 30-45 minutes when switch booted first time but switch will take normal time to boot afterwards. Actually, The switches have a small MCU(MicroController Unit) to offload processing of some of the hardware interfaces like POE , Fan, power supply etc. (the actual details vary by SKU).Programming front end

microcode should only happen once when upgrading to a higher version with newer microcode.

So Lets wait once switch booted with wrong IOS, then change the IOS image.

Let me know if that works and rate the reply.

Girish Devgan

Oh, OK.  Maybe it will be fine on Monday then.

Thanks

Hi Giresh:

Should WS-C3560X-24P-S support OSPF?

The datasheet : http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps6406/data_sheet_c78-584733_ps10744_Products_Data_Sheet.html under "Cisco Catalyst 3750-X and 3560-X Series primary features:" it says "• Open Shortest Path First (OSPF) in IP Base image".  It also shows WS-C3560X-24P-S as IP Base image.

However when I try to type router ospf 1 it says OSPF is not supported on this image.

This works great now.  Thanks for your help.

Thanks Girish,

We updated the IOS and were presented with the whole console output ".rrrrrrwssssssssssssssssssspssssssssssssssss" after reboot - quite nerve racking.

We power cycled and went into ROMMON and changed back to the old IOS...it did the same...double nerve racking (was obviously writing the new old microcode again - but we didn't know that at the time).

Read your post - set it back to the new IOS again, waited about 40 minutes and it came up sweet.

Thanks again,

Brett

I can also confirm that this takes about 30-40 minutes, after that the next reboots are normal. The fans are pretty loud and I have the server guys coming up to me complaining lol!

I was upgrading a 3560 from c3560e-universalk9-mz.122-55.SE5 to

c3560e-universalk9-mz.150-2.SE11.bin

Can confirm this is the case. I waited about 15-20 minutes, and wallah! it works!

I'm glad I'm not the only one that was freaked out by this. Waiting for the update to finish. 40 minutes for a firmware upgrade, really?

Yes.  If you upgrade your IOS from, say, 12.2(46)SE to 12.2(55)SE8 then the microcode upgrade could potentially take 40 heart-stopping minutes.

Unfortunately, this important fact should WASN'T including in Release Notes.

salman abid
Level 1
Level 1

for me it took almost 20mins

i upgraded to c3560e-universalk9-mz.150-2.SE8.bin from c3560e-universalk9-mz.122-55.SE5

I upgraded from c3750e-universalk9-mz.122-55.SE.bin  to c3750e-universalk9-mz.152-4.E8.bin on Catalyst 3750X-48P-S and it took around 20 minutes. 

I'm really glad I found this post...

I was also DOWNGRADING code and was prompted with the same output, after the reload. 

Just to be safe, I set my stop watch for 45 minutes, and will circle back to review the status of the switch. 

If it helps, after issuing the " software install file " command, the switch DOES do several verifications to make sure the installed file is compatible --- knowing at least the checksum and file validation steps ran properly.. so I wasnt too nervous, but still, this information helps alot !

Thanks !!

Lucas dos Reis
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,  followed that you recomended and works perfectly.

Thanks..

Lucas Reis.

Best Regards / Atenciosamente
Lucas dos Reis

mohranj396968
Level 1
Level 1

I updated my switch 3750 x for 2 hours now, which is still the same

I even pulled the power cord and reconnected, but nothing happened

spssssssssssssssssssspssssssssssssssssssspssssssssssssssssssspssssssssssssssssssspssssssssssssssssssspssssssssssssssssssspssssssssssssssssssspssssssssssssssssssspssssssssssssssssssspssssssssssssssssssspssssssssssssssssssspssssssssssssssssssspssssssssssssssssssspssssssssssssssssssspssssssssssssssssssspssssssssssssssssssspssssssssssssssssssspssssssssssssssssssspssssssssssssssssssspw

% Front-end Microcode IMG MGR: HW image is upgraded. MCU reset causes the switch to reload

Loading "flash:c3750e-universalk9-mz.152-4.E10"...flash:c3750e-universalk9-mz.152-4.E10: is a directory

the last ios

C3750E Software (C3750E-UNIVERSALK9-M), Version 12.2(58)SE2,

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco