cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WS-C2955T-12 replacement

degea
Level 1
Level 1

Hi comunity, the automation network of our client (mining) has a WS-C2955T-12 switch. We recommended him to replace it because currently there's no TAC support for that switch. From Cisco the recommendation is to use an IE2000 switch, but we habe some doubts about equivalences. Could anyone help with this replacement model?

Thanks.

Dario.

6 Replies 6

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Not going to answer this question because there are so many factors that can impact the decision. 

1. What is the operating environment of the current switch?  (I want to know the dust, humidity and heat.)
  2. What kind of clients are needed? 
  3. What sort of backhaul is the switch currently using?
  4. Is 12 ports needed or is more needed?

Hi Leo, thanks for your help. I'll try to answer your questions:

1. Operation environment: The meteorological station is located at coordinates 357 229 E; 8 426 180 N (WGS84). The type of climate is defined as rainy - cold with dry winter. 64% of the precipitation occurs between the months of December and March, when the average temperature drops to 39.38 F. The main climatic conditions are the following: Elevation 4,530 m.a.s.l. Atmospheric pressure 58 to 60 k Pa Ambient Temperature: Minimum 19.4 F, Maximum 68 F Humidity: Minimum 46%, Maximum 83%. The switch is exposed to factors common in industrial environments such as dust, vibrations, etc., but these factors will have a lesser impact because the equipment will be installed inside an enclosure.

2. Clients: Most of the switch clients are industrial automation systems, such as PLCs or field analyzers.

3. Sort of backhaul: Attached topology. The switch is highlighted with a yellow rectangle. I suppose the switch is part of a ring to increase the communication availability.

4. Ports: There's 6 used ports. See attached picture.

I hope this information is enough to select the replace switch.

Regards,

Dario.

Hello,

the IE2000 is Cisco's official migration product for the 2955T switches. As the IE2000 switches are heavily used in the oil/gas/transportation/mining/manufacturing industries, I think that device is exactly what you are looking for.

What are your specific doubts ?

Maybe I was looking for an exact match replacement table, which doesn't exist. Meanwhile I've chosen Cisco IE-2000-16TC-L.

If it is inside an enclosure, I'd pick a 3560CX compact switch.  

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

May be old days there is no industrial switches as per i know in old days, those days Cisco 29XX was used and only available (or hubs or dumb switches)

now cisco has industrial switches, they meant to deploy as per the requirement you mentioned. personally i go with the model suggested to better performance.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/switches/industrial-ethernet-switches/index.html#~products

but we have some doubts about equivalences

now sure what features you looking, but most IE switches support and you can look the features.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card