cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WS-C3650-48PD location in stack?

Mottok
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, hopefully a quick question. We have a stack with WS-C3650-48PD's top and bottom (that carry the fibre uploads) and we wish to add two WS-C3650-48PS's to the bottom of the stack. Does it matter if we leave the PD switch where it is or would it be advisable to move it to the bottom of the stack under the two new WS-C3650-48PS's?

Many thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Seb Rupik
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi there,

I belive this is a question about time delay for a switch to reach an uplink.

If your two PD switches carrying the uplink fibres are at the top and bottom of your stack, in a 'normal' stackwise cable layout, they would be neighbouring switches, and the switch in the middle of the stack would have an equally long route to take to reach an uplink. You are better off placing a PD at the top and one in the middle of the rack, to reduce the length of this path.

TBH, the latency on the stackwise ring is so small I don't think you would see an issue where you place the PD switches.

cheers,

Seb.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Seb Rupik
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi there,

I belive this is a question about time delay for a switch to reach an uplink.

If your two PD switches carrying the uplink fibres are at the top and bottom of your stack, in a 'normal' stackwise cable layout, they would be neighbouring switches, and the switch in the middle of the stack would have an equally long route to take to reach an uplink. You are better off placing a PD at the top and one in the middle of the rack, to reduce the length of this path.

TBH, the latency on the stackwise ring is so small I don't think you would see an issue where you place the PD switches.

cheers,

Seb.

Many thanks for that, appreciate your time. Makes sense when you think about it I suppose!

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card