cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WS-C3750X-48P - Primary Stack Member Replacement Question IOS

CiscoMedMed
Level 1
Level 1

I had the primary member of the stack fail. I understand that if I send a replacement

and rack if and cable it w the stacking cables and the power it on. Or that's supposed

to be the case if the IOS versions match. 

The problem is this is a remote site w not-so-technical staff. If the IOS version was slightly
dissimilar what would happen? 

License Type: Permanent
Next reload license Level: ipbase

cisco WS-C3750X-48P (PowerPC405) processor (revision A0) with 262144K bytes of memory.
Processor board ID FDO17F00123
Last reset from power-on
6 Virtual Ethernet interfaces
1 FastEthernet interface
104 Gigabit Ethernet interfaces
4 Ten Gigabit Ethernet interfaces
The password-recovery mechanism is enabled.

512K bytes of flash-simulated non-volatile configuration memory.
Base ethernet MAC Address : 6C:41:6A:24:5B:80
Motherboard assembly number : 73-12553-08
Motherboard serial number : FDO17F00123
Model revision number : A0
Motherboard revision number : A0
Model number : WS-C3750X-48PF-S
Daughterboard assembly number : 800-32727-03
Daughterboard serial number : FDO17FOO123
System serial number : FDO17F00123
Top Assembly Part Number : 800-31324-07
Top Assembly Revision Number : B0
Version ID : V04
CLEI Code Number : COMJZ00ARD
Hardware Board Revision Number : 0x04

Switch Ports Model SW Version SW Image
------ ----- ----- ---------- ----------
* 2 54 WS-C3750X-48P 15.0(2)SE6 C3750E-UNIVERSALK9-M

Configuration register is 0xF

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It will give you information version mismatch, either you can do TFTP same version to be part of the stack and reload.

Not sure the above device output from running one or a new one? what difference do you see?

3750X does support a combination of service and IPbase, But i prefer to have IPSERVICE /IP BASE as master and slave if only 2 switches.

Best is always upgrade to the current version before adding to the stack member, rest you know the procedure well.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

View solution in original post

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If the site is remote and staff are not knowledgeable, then you need to go to that site.  

• Make sure the IOS is the same. 
  • Make sure the LICENSE is the same.  If the license is not the same the replacement switch will not join the stack and go into a boot-loop.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It will give you information version mismatch, either you can do TFTP same version to be part of the stack and reload.

Not sure the above device output from running one or a new one? what difference do you see?

3750X does support a combination of service and IPbase, But i prefer to have IPSERVICE /IP BASE as master and slave if only 2 switches.

Best is always upgrade to the current version before adding to the stack member, rest you know the procedure well.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

CiscoMedMed
Level 1
Level 1

The output is from the working device, 2nd in the stack. The other appears to be bricked with some issue in the power supply to chassis. We swapped PS and SW1 PS still showed RED. We then swapped power cords too and still RED. 

This setup is just two switches.

Thanks much for the thoughts. Ideally I'd like to get them all new switches. But I'm running into stingy mgt.

Do not feel bad.  Give your "stingy" management some credit.  
I have a fleet of 2960S, 3750X, 3850 and 9300. 

I probably spend twice a month opening TAC cases for issues and bugs on 3850 and 9300.  The only time I would raise TAC case for the 2960S and 3750X is for RMA -- that's it.  

Firmware wise, 2960S and 3750X have very stable and very solid OS.  

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If the site is remote and staff are not knowledgeable, then you need to go to that site.  

• Make sure the IOS is the same. 
  • Make sure the LICENSE is the same.  If the license is not the same the replacement switch will not join the stack and go into a boot-loop.
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card