cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Codec Software too old

wildflower1977
Level 1
Level 1

the software version on the codec is too old to support this touch screen hardware.  please contact your administrator.

I have had an EX60 replaced under RMA.  The dead unit was running on 7.0.2.  The replacement has been supplied with 4.1.0. the Touch panel will only display the above error message and I can't configure the device in any way.  

The Telepresence build has a TMS, VCS-C, VCS-E, MCU, and five EX60 units.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

amehla
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Wildflower,

Basically, you need to upgrade your newly received EX 60 unit to latest software version.

now, since touch panel is not pairing with it, it is not possible to assign IP to it with touch panel.

by default, EX 60 are set to receive IP using DHCP server. So you need to connect this unit to a PC/laptop using a crossover cable and then need to setup a DHCP server on your PC/Laptop. You can use DHCP32 software version available online.

with DHCP server set properly, re boot the unit and then DHCP will provide IP to it.  access the unit web interface through the IP address provided by DHCP server and then follow regular steps to upgrade it to latest version ( maintenance>software upgrade tab).

after upgrade, touch panel will pair properly

you will also need release key for upgrade. 

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Wayne DeNardi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
As part of the RMA, your licences, etc should have been transferred from the old device to the replacement one. You should get an email with the relevant release and option keys. If you haven't got this, contact the people who did your RMA again and request them. You may then need to download the TC7.0.2 software from the Cisco.com web site and install it again on to your new device. Wayne -- Please remember to rate responses and to mark your question as answered if appropriate.
Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

It's been my experience from doing several RMAs that the process for transfering options from one dead codec to a new one sent via RMA is a manual process on the end user.

Go to http://cisco.com/go/license

Once there go to Transfer > License for RMA.  Go through the steps of specificing a new device by inserting your old serial number and then new serial number.  Once you go through everything you should get an email with new release and options keys for everything that your old codec had.

I've had the opposite experience Patrick.  In the majority of cases, the've provided the licence transfer as part of the RMA process.  But, yes, as you have desctibed, you can request the transfer yourself through the licensing portal (I've only had to do this on one occasion).

Of course, if wildflower can't find the IP address details of the new unit, then a lot of that doesn't quite matter yet.  Best bet is to ask the Network administrator to check the DHCP server to retrieve the details of the new device, or to follow amehla's response above.

Once you have the IP details, you should be able to upload the new firmware via your preferred method (web interface, SCP, TMS, etc) and/or do a "Replace System" in TMS to swap the old unit for the new one.

Don't forget to enter any of the release keys / option keys that are missing too.

Wayne
--
Please remember to rate responses and to mark your question as answered if appropriate.

Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

Haha Wayne, I wish my experience with RMAs were that easy, from the license transfer to service contracts.

Maybe it's one positive of being on the other side of the world (Australia) / different time zone - it's likely a different support group handling our job (ie Philippines / India / etc).  The times I've had issues have been dealing with the USA (the worst was California).

Wayne
--
Please remember to rate responses and to mark your question as answered if appropriate.

Wayne

amehla
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Wildflower,

Basically, you need to upgrade your newly received EX 60 unit to latest software version.

now, since touch panel is not pairing with it, it is not possible to assign IP to it with touch panel.

by default, EX 60 are set to receive IP using DHCP server. So you need to connect this unit to a PC/laptop using a crossover cable and then need to setup a DHCP server on your PC/Laptop. You can use DHCP32 software version available online.

with DHCP server set properly, re boot the unit and then DHCP will provide IP to it.  access the unit web interface through the IP address provided by DHCP server and then follow regular steps to upgrade it to latest version ( maintenance>software upgrade tab).

after upgrade, touch panel will pair properly

you will also need release key for upgrade. 

wildflower1977
Level 1
Level 1

I thought I would post an update for the next individual to follow :)

I configured the DHCP application on my laptop and plugged the EX60 in via cross over cable.  Once it had an ip address I was able to browse to the website interface, apply the release key and then install the 7.0.2 install file I had previously downloaded.  Once it had rebooted I could connect the touch panel and plug it into the network for the remaining configuration.

The RMA license transfer process 'should' be done by your licensing team 'if' they know what they are doing.  If not it is an easy process to complete on the cisco.com/go/licensing link some one has provided on this page.  You need to ensure that you have a valid service contract for the serial number of the device, and that it is associated to your CCO ID, otherwise it wont work.