Views
Helpful
Replies

Expressway C X14.2 Smart Licensing

rchaseling
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

Recently upgraded customers 3 x Cs and 3 x Es to X14.2.7 from X12.6. Customer has an on Prem licensing server.

Created the licensing key and applied it to the 3 x E's and they registered no problem. The 3 x Cs will not register. I rebooted one of the C's and then started diagnotics logging with pcap. Tried to re-register and then performed a ping to licensing server. The only traffic I saw in the packet capture with the ping traffic

I have also tried to register a different customer Expressway X14.2 direct to Cisco and it is also failing. I can see in the packet capture for this that it is at least trying to register but it failing with "Unknown CA" error. The Expressway E is registering fine here as well

Does Expressway C not have to register with a a Smart Account in X14.2 anymore?

6 Replies 6

b.winter
VIP
VIP

Normally, there is no license needed on Exp-C.
For MRA, you don't need any licenses at all. And for B2B Calling, you need to have the RMS licenses on the Exp-E
The only licenses you need on Exp-C are those, when you want to register device directly to the Exp-C.

Hi,

Yes I'm not worried about it being out of compliance as I know no licenses are required. I'm just wondering whether it can actually register at all ?  For me with 2 x different deployments. 1 using CSSM On Prem and another going direct out (no proxy). The Es register fine but not the C's. I would think that if Cisco didn't want them to register then the licensing option would be greyed out or similar

We have all our Expressways, C and E, registered with our on-prem SSM. Do you have a CA signed, signed by an internal CA will do, on the on-prem SSM and do you have the CA root and intermediate if applicable in the CA list on the Cs?

Response Signature

OK good to know and you are on X14.2 or higher?

Yes same internal CA that signed the on-prem SSM signed the Expressway C's and that trust chain is on both C and E's

In the other "direct" deployment where I am seeing the "Unknown CA" error in pcap - i have correct QuoVadis and Identitrust chain uploaded to both..and the E is registering fine. Its weird!! Its my 2 x first Expressway Smart licensing deployments and both C's having similar but different issues

14.3 currently, but we’re been on most 14.2 and 14.0 releases as well.

Response Signature

OK then thanks for the confirmation. Looks like it might be a TAC case......for both!!