Views
Helpful
Replies

Password on settings in TC3.5.2

Bob Fitzgerald
Level 4
Level 4

Hello!

Our military customer wants to password protect the Administrator Settings an EX60 running TC3.5.2.  I don't have one to test with, but in trying different things on my C20 with a Touch8, it seems that setting a Menu Password should work.  On my system, it puts a padlock icon next to the Administrator Settings and prompts for a password when selected.  I passed this info on to our customer, but the reply was that adding a Menu Password had no effect on their EX60.  They did not see a padlock icon next to the Administrator Settings, and were not prompted for a password when they selected Administrator Settings.

Taking into account that the TC3.5.2 software is a hybrid version for the military so that they can use the EX-series codecs, any other ideas as to why this doesn't work?  Also, is there any way to limit access to the Administrator Settings on the Touch panel for an EX-series running TC3.5.2?

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

With new software release comes new features. The one you are looking for was added in TC4.1. From the release notes available here:

New GUI for the Cisco TelePresence Touch screen

A new improved GUI (Graphical User Interface) has been developed to be used for the Cisco TelePresence Touch screen. Existing EX60 and EX90 users will experience a new GUI after upgrading to TC4.1.0.

Some of the new features of the new GUI include:

•   Overall better usability and responsiveness.

•   All in one ‘Search and dial’ mechanism.

•   Support for VCS provisioning.

•   Support for password protection of the touch panel advanced settings. This is set using the ‘xCommand SystemUnit MenuPassword Set’ command from the API.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

crisalex
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Please see the admin guide for the TC3 sw version :

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/telepresence/endpoint/ex-series/tc3/administrator_guide/tandberg_ex90_administrator_guide_tc31.pdf

according to it , :

The system can be password protected:

• The Codec can be password protected with an

administrator password.

• The Web interface is password protected with the same

administrator password as for the codec, but to make this

happen, the codec must be restarted after having set or

changed the password

Please consult the "password protection" section for more information

Regards

Hi Cristian,

Thanks for the response.  I did see that before when working with the customer.  I took it to mean that was setting the admin password for the web interface.  Are you saying that for the EX90, when you enter the following command;

xCommand SystemUnit AdminPassword Set Password: “****”

That the Administrator Settings on the touch panel will now be password protected?

Thanks!

Hi again!

Ok, I finally got access to an EX90 so I could try this out.  Setting an admin password does not lock the Adminitrator Settings on the EX90 touch panel.  On later versions of TC software (TC5 for sure) the following command will lock the Administrator Settings on the touch panel: xCommand SystemUnit MenuPassword Set Password: “****”

However, on TC3 software the Administrator Settings that you can access from the touch panel are not segregated like they are on later versions of software.  Setting a menu password has no effect, and the settings are not secured.

Thanks again!

With new software release comes new features. The one you are looking for was added in TC4.1. From the release notes available here:

New GUI for the Cisco TelePresence Touch screen

A new improved GUI (Graphical User Interface) has been developed to be used for the Cisco TelePresence Touch screen. Existing EX60 and EX90 users will experience a new GUI after upgrading to TC4.1.0.

Some of the new features of the new GUI include:

•   Overall better usability and responsiveness.

•   All in one ‘Search and dial’ mechanism.

•   Support for VCS provisioning.

•   Support for password protection of the touch panel advanced settings. This is set using the ‘xCommand SystemUnit MenuPassword Set’ command from the API.

Hi Thomas,

Thanks for clarifying when the feature was implemented.  I have one further question.  I know some features included in later versions of software made it into the TC3.5.x versions for the military customers.  Is there any possibility this will as well?  The whole reason I started this thread was because of a request from one of our customers.

Thanks!

I do not have the details of what has been ported back in TC3.5.2, but according to what you said about the interface and test you did, I highly doubt that you can password protect the advanced settings menu, sorry.