cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Registrations with Assent vs. registrations with Public IP Addresses

rfrome
Level 1
Level 1

I'm hoping someone can help clarify this topic for me. In the VCS basic config with VCS guide,

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/telepresence/infrastructure/vcs/config_guide/Cisco_VCS_Basic_Configuration_Control_with_Expressway_Deployment_Guide_X7-2.pdf

Appendix 3, has the required ports and protocols listed. In the INBOUND (Internet > DMZ) section, there are catagories for registration

H.323 endpoints registering with Assent

and

H.323 endpoints registering with public IP addresses

I'm not clear on the distinction here. It would be great to have a few examples.

If for example, I have an EX90 at a home office. Which catagory does it fall into?

Additionally, with the registration for Assent, is all of my media traffic form any number of Internet based endpoint coming in on port 2776 UDP?

thx

3 Replies 3

Jens Didriksen
Level 9
Level 9

The EX90, C-series, MXPs (F2 onwards) etc would be "Assent" as they are all Assent/ h.460.18/19 compliant, whereas any system which does not support Assent/h.460.18/19, i.e. the old TANDBERG Classic 800 etc, can only register if it has a non-nat'ed, public IP address.

/jens

Please rate replies and mark question(s) as "answered" if applicable.

Jens,

Thanks for the reply. And jsut to be clear, my inbound media from any Assent endpoint would be on port 2776? That's the only port I need open as opposed to the 150000 - 19999 and 50000 - 54999 for public IP address registered devices?

Tomonori Taniguchi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Cisco EX-series, C-series, MX-series and MXP-series Endpoint will register VCS-E by using traversal protocol ASSENT (or H.460.18) as H.323 Endpoint regardless Endpoint has public IP address or NATed address.

The “H.323 endpoints registering with public IP addresses“ is for H.323 Endpoint doesn’t support neither of ASSENT or H.460.18 traversal signal making sure VCS-E has method for communicating between those H.323 Endpoint.

While H.323 Endpoint registered on VCS-E by using traversal protocol, following ports will use for call negotiation and media.

• UDP/1719 (H323 signaling)
  • TCP/2776 (Q931/H245 for external traversal endpoints)
  • UDP/2776 (RTP Media from external traversal endpoints)
  • UDP/2777 (RTCP Media control traffic from external traversal endpoints)