Views
Helpful
Replies

Sizing of bandwidth of Video conferencing solution

Yanes ABDELLI
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Community,

I need to know how to size the bandwidth for a video conferencing solution. the architecture is a central site with a polycom MCU (RMX 2000) and an end point MX 700, for the other sites i have 20 EX 90.

So the questions are :

1) How much bandwidth do i need for the central site for an average conferencing users of 10 end points with an acceptable video quality ?

2) How can I size that for other type of end points ?

3) Are theese end points compatible with the MCU RMX 2000 ?

4) What do I realy need to configure the end points and the MCU ?

Thank you.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

That is correct, each endpoint needs 2.5 while the MCU will need enough bandwidth to support all the endpoint's that are connecting.

You can also take a look at the endpoint data sheets, they typically list the minimum bandwidth for resolution/frame rate.  There is also a section in the endpoint admin guides about Optimal Definition Profiles, which list the minimum bandwidth required along with the profile used on the video input also determines the resolution/frame rate.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Dennis Mink
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Yanes, 

You would need close to 2.5 Mbps for 1080/720p single stream audio+video+content sharing (presntation).  I have used this setting between SX20's and its more than sufficient.  Dont forget that Mp4 will only use full bandwidth when it has dynamic content. If you have a video conference with a boardroom and desktop presentation, this content is not very dynamic and will only sometimes peak to 2.5Mbps.  (in CUCM use region settings to Cap bandwidth)

Please rate if useful

Please remember to rate useful posts, by clicking on the stars below.

Thank you dennis,

so, i need 2,5 Mbps for each user and 25 Mbps in the main site with the MCU ? 

That is correct, each endpoint needs 2.5 while the MCU will need enough bandwidth to support all the endpoint's that are connecting.

You can also take a look at the endpoint data sheets, they typically list the minimum bandwidth for resolution/frame rate.  There is also a section in the endpoint admin guides about Optimal Definition Profiles, which list the minimum bandwidth required along with the profile used on the video input also determines the resolution/frame rate.