cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SX20 camera cable

Valentin Ichim
Level 1
Level 1

We need to use a longer than standard camera cable for SX20. We want to use a Cisco Split cable ( separate female HDMI and RJ 45 ) and 10m HDMI and FTP cables. Unfortunatelly I have found no information about FTP cable pinout. It is a straight or cross cable ? We tried a straight cable and we have no data communication between camera and codec through remote control. I know that pin 3 and 7 are used for data.
Is it mandatory to use a power supply for camera in our case ( 10m cable ) ?I have to add that the camera - powered by data cable - is OK.
Any help is welcome !
Thank you !

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

14 Replies 14

Patrick Sparkman
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello Valentin -

Question has been asked many times here in the forums, here are a few of those discussions that might help you.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3862127

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3847335

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/4075089

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3992337

Richard Simmons
Level 3
Level 3

Did you manage to find what the pin outs should be? I've been reading the forums for a while now and have yet to find them.

Thanks in Advance

Hi Richard,

I better way of using long cable for SX20 camera is to use the supplied camera cable ( 3m with special connector to the codec and HDMI and RJ45 connectors to the camera ) and to attached HDMI-HDMI and straight LAN cable to it using female-female HDMI-HDMI and RJ45-RJ45 adapters. Depending of the cables' length you will need external power supply for the camera. All documentation shows that the external power supply is mandatory for longer cables even I use additional 10m HDMI and LAN cables and it works fine without external power supply.

I hope that clarify the situation.

Valentin

Thanks for getting back to me Valentin, I am using the Y Splitter with HDMI to HDMI and straight throught RJ45 (5m cable). The camera gets power and video is transmitted but i am not able to control the camera and the web interface on the SX20 shows it as having no camera connected.

If i use the short proprietary cable provided then the camera works fine, but this isn't long enough.

On some of the posts i read it suggests it needs a different PIN out on the RJ45 but it doesnt say what is required

Thanks again,

Richard

You don't mention the exact y-cable you're using, if it's either CAB-HDMI-PHD12XS or CAB-PHD4XS2-SPLIT, the pin-outs for both cables are on pgs 19-20 of the PrecisionHD Camera Guide.

I'm using 2x CAB-PHD4XS2-SPLIT - i have been reading that document but its not overly clear, not to me at least.

I am assuming i need to make a cable as follows

End AEnd B

To confirm the above PIN out works, I am now able to control the camera via the touchpad.

Thanks,

Richard

Any luck with this?  I cannot control the camera when using the extender cables on the sx20.

For short distances, this should be OK, especially if you use a decent quality cable.  If you use bad/cheap cable, the voltage drop can be too much over the length of the cable to work correctly.

Another alternative is to use some third party extenders such as these: Vaddio OneLink or these: Sound Control Technologies RC4

Wayne
--
Please remember to rate responses and to mark your question as answered if appropriate.

Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

I made a cable with the above PIN outs in my previous post and that works fine.

Richard Simmons
Level 3
Level 3

Did you manage to find what the pin outs should be? I've been reading the forums for a while now and have yet to find them.

Thanks in Advance

Richard Simmons
Level 3
Level 3

Thanks in Advance

I was able to get this working using the CAB-PHD4XS2-SPLIT splitter.  The UTP or STP RJ45 cable is a straight through cable except pins 3 and 6 need to be crossed.  It would have been better if Cisco had done this in the splitter so a standard straight through RJ45 patch cord could have been used instead of having to make or order a specially configured (non-standard) cable.

If you use the cable that comes with the SX20, you can extend the RJ45 with a standard straight through cable and a network joiner (or go via a wall plate through the walls to the other end).  The distance you can go may vary depending on the quality of the cable you use, and the camera may need to be powered remotely if the voltage drop is too great.

The HDMI can be extended in a similar manner with a HDMI extension cable, or with proper HDMI extenders.

Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.