Views
Helpful
Replies

SX80 Keeps rebooting

shaunacarr18
Level 1
Level 1

Hi 

I have 2 SX 80 which reboot pretty frequently both outside business hours and within. Both units are running 8.2.1 is this a known bug? Power Supply has been checked and been cleared of any issues. 

12 Replies 12

PJMack
Level 7
Level 7

I took at the latest release notes for both CE8 and 9, and although neither seem to specifially address that problem as a "bug" i would update the software, it's a year and a half old, and there have been many fixes in that time including security fixes. A question on your environment - are these units behind a firewall/expressway or on the public internet? If the latter check your search history on your VCSE - are these getting hit by hackers? If so you should modify the VCS config to stop it. If both units are behaving the same way it's likely not a coincidence. 

Hope this helps. 

Patrick Sparkman
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Try upgrading to the most recent release, currently it is CE9.2.2. Check the historical logs to see if they might help determine what the cause of the reboots are.

dhorning
Level 1
Level 1

We had one SX80 that had been rebooting as well.  We had it replaced by Cisco, but now the replacement unit has started rebooting as well.  This should rule out the codec as the issue.  I could only guess that maybe it could be tied to the camera or Touch 10 causing the reboot, but that's only a guess.  Hoping that we can eventually track down the issue. 

Try disconnecting the Touch 10 and camera one at a time, if it keep restarting after disconnecting either of those, try disconnecting it from the network.

Well, we finally tracked down the issue that was causing the reboot.   It doesn't make any sense, but it doesn't reboot randomly anymore.  The fix:  We set a static IP address on the unit rather than leaving it set at DHCP.    It was typically rebooting a few times a day.  But since we set the IP to static, there have been no reboots in 5 days.   Like I said, doesn't' make any sense, but that was the fix for us.  Maybe that will help someone else as well. 

Thanks for all the suggestions, we noticed that the closet where it was powered was extremely hot, so we are starting there, and hope it works!

I wanted to note that we are running firmware 7.3.12.  We are not able to upgrade to CE due to our infrastructure.  But the unit has been running fine since setting the IP to static. 

shaunacarr18
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you for all the replies...we updated the firmware to the latest and both units are holding steady!

Hello All,

We have 1 SX80 and have the same issue. I originally thought power, swapped power cables, outlets, all UPS outlets but all other devices in the rack are not rebooting.  I upgraded the firmware from CE8.3.4 to CE9.5.0 and still was rebooting - usually about once every 3rd day. I Had it RMA'd with Cisco and the new one is doing the same thing. Still rebooting - I spoke with an AV integrator - he recommended I look at what is connected to it. I have a Touch 10, 3 Cisco Precision 60 camera, and a Crestron controller for a matrix of input sources.... 

I am going to try the Crestron - since it is the only NON Cisco device in the config and see what happens.

One thing that worked for us, was to assign a static IP to the SX80.  This stopped the reboot issue.   

Thank you. I did see that post. It is assigned a Static IP and still having the issue.

Were you able to find the issue?