Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I've 5 ex90s.

location1 (L1): 2

location2 (L2): 1

Location3(L3):1

Location4(L4):1

when ex90 at location call each other, then they can use as much bandwidth as they want.

when ex90 from one location calls ex90 at other location, they can use only 1.5 M b/w.

how to implement it?

Please help!

30 Replies 30

Gavin,

You have 3 different functions on that page that limit bandwidth:

1. Total bandwidth -      Limit the TOTAL amount of bandwidth handled within that subzone.

2.  Calls into or out from this subzone -     Limit the bandwidth PER CALL, IN OR OUT from this subzone.

3.  Calls entierly within this subzone -      Limits the bandwidth used for calls within this subzone.

To achieve what you are after, you should leave 1 & 3 at UNLIMITED and ONLY set 2 to LIMITED (1152).

(Edit; I forgot to mention that you need to limit the PIPE/LINK, if you have more then 2 systems in a subzone)

In your PIPE you limit the MAXIMUM allowed bandwidth for that link between 2 subzones.   It should be set so to limit TOTAL BANDWIDTH: Limited (1152).

//Robert

Just as a note. Your original question was how to limit bandwidth for 5 systems at 4 sites.

I still claim that you do not have to use PIPES for that scenario, you can keep it simple and do everything just with the subzone settings.

//Robert

I agree with Robert that always keep it simple

however in the original posts there was some requirements of limiting per call between subzones, which is doable via pips

Thanks all for your help. that really helped and resolved what I was looking for. we have one additional requirement.

location1 (L1): 2

location2 (L2): 1

Location3(L3):1

Location4(L4):1

Location5(L5):1

Location6(L6):2

when location 2,3,4 call each other - they can use unlimited bandwidth since we have a huge b/w available. but when they call L1,L5,L6 than b/w for those calls can't go beyond 1152K.

could you help please.

as described above,

you can use subzone with unlimited bandwidth for total, in-out per call and within the zone for L2,3,4 this will let these locations to use the max bandwidth configured on the call  intiater endpoint setting

create subzones for locations 1,5,6 with total bandwidth represent the total endpoints * 1152K

bandwith in-out per call as 1152

bandwidth within the subzone you can leave as unlimited of you want to

in the case if a endpoint from L2 call end point in L1 it will be drop down to 1152 as per the zones bandwidth, but make sure that the bandwidth in L1 for example endpoint set to 1152 \you might use links and pips for additional layer of per call bandwidth control

please rate the helpful posts

HTH

Hi,

Sorry for asking again. but here is a clear picture of what I'm trying to accomplish.

Bandwidth per call is 1152K.

- Unlimited bandwidth and unlimited number of calls, unlimited bandwidth allowed per call if call is made between Ex90s residing in the same site. i.e. for S1, S2, S4.

- 1152K total bandwidth allowed for call/total calls going out from the site.

than if 1 call going out from S1 to any other site(S2/S3/S4/S5/S6) is in progress than 2nd call going out from that site is not allowed. that Ex90 can still call any other Ex90 within that site.

- S3,S5,S6 can use unlimited bandwidth. so, they can make unlimited calls and use unlimited bandwidth for calls going out from that site.

how to accomplish it - could help please.

Hi Gavin,

it is already described above

anyway

you have multiple zones S1,S2 ...etc

for each zone that need total and in/out per call bandwidth of 1152 just limit that zone to this amount in the subzone settings

and leave the bandwidth limit for call within the zone to unlimited

for unlimited subzones just leave everything as unlimited

make sure you have links between the newly created zones even without pips bandwidth control as in your case the subzones can be enough to control the bandwidth

HTH

if helpful rate

Hi Marwanshawi,

Thanks for your reply.

but if I limit total and in/out per call b/w to 1152K and if say one subzone has 4 Ex90s. if one call within subzone is already in progress than 2nd call wont within subzone won't be allowed, because total b/w is limited to 1152K, right?

ok per your question above

you have two types of subzones

1- limit to 1152k for calls out of the subzone unlimited within the subzone

2- everthing is unlimited

for the first type total means total allowed bandwidth out of the subzone as total if yo want one call at 1152 rate then you put 1152 if you want two calls at this rate then you put it as 2*1152

for the in/out per call is the max call bandwidth allowed in and out if this subzone

so its again as per you need and actual bandwidth available to use you can change thee values

HTH

hi,

but if I put total bandwidth available as 1152K than calls within subzone won't use b/w beyond 1152K or if one call if in progress than 2nd call within subzone wont be successful, right?

good question,

you are right in this point

in this case what you need to do is put the total bandwidth as the number of endpoints * 1152k

now tocontrol the calls bandwidth in and out these subznes with limit up to 1152k you need to use links and pips

configure the pip total bandwidth for each subzoine with limit to max as 1152

Total

bandwidth

The upper limit on the total bandwidth used at any one time by all calls on all links to

which this pipe is applied

good luck

if helpful Rate

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/telepresence/infrastructure/vcs/admin_guide/Cisco_VCS_Administrator_Guide_X6-1.pdf

in this case you need a link between each subzone to other subzones

example

PIPs:

S1Pip total = 1152

S3Pip total = unlimited

linke S1TOS3

Node1  S1Pip

Node2  S3Pip

Thanks for your reply.

sorry if I misunderstood this but I'm new to pipe and link.

Pipe is applied per Link, right? it isn't applied per subzone.

so,  if S1 has link going to S2,S3,S4,S5,S6. than Pipe won't limit total  bandwidth used by links to 1152K (i.e. link to S2 + link to S3 + link to  S4 + link to S5 + link to S6 = 1152 K). it will limit the bandwidth per  link to 1152K. right?

====

And you mentioned that : "in this case what you need to do is put the total bandwidth as the number of endpoints * 1152k"...

I want to set this as unlimited. would that be ok?

Marwan ALshawi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

Links work like point to point connections between subzones

You need links between each subzone to others like fully meshed topology of point to point links

Within each link you can apply the pips as described in the link above for additional layer of bandwidth control between subzones and zones

And about the subzone total to be set to unlimited the answer is yes you can

HTH

Plz rate the helpful posts

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

hi, thanks for your help.

so, SubZone total can be set to unlimited but at the same time total b/w for all links can't be limited to 1152K. right?

Hi

just think about it this way

subzone total will be unlimited as a total

however the links like point to point links/connection each with a pip that make bandwidth limit between two wubzones only

in other words you need a link for every two subzones

S1 to S2  ( bidirectional no need to S2 to S1 )

S1 to S3

S2 to S3

un in each link you apply the pips

but keep in mind that you want to limit the number of calls/bandwidth for the sites with 1152 at any time then you need to use that pip for every link belong to that site

for example S1 has to be lmited for 1152 only

then you create a pip called S1_pip apply to each link belong to S1

S1 to S1  node one/pip S!_pip

S1_S3  node one/Pip S_pip

see the bellow example from VCS admin guide

in the above example head office subzone uses two link one to home office and the other to branch office

however both links using same pip so ifyou have the pip total bandwidth as 1152 that mean as a total for head office to comunicate with any other osubzones at a given time it wont reach 1152 even the zubzone setting total set to unlimited ( two layers of bandwidth control here )

hope this help

good luck