cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

TC7.3.0 websnapshots broken even further (by design)

Wayne DeNardi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Just a heads-up warning to anyone considering upgrading to TC7.3.0 - the websnapshots now include a "privacy feature" where the snapshot of the camera(s) no longer displays on the web interface screen until you specifially click to activate the video source (see attached image).  The websnapshot only shows around 5 seconds once clicked before requiring another activation.  A large message also appears on the display of the endpoint stating that the video is being monitored by an administrator.

This warning message shrinks after a short period of time to just an icon, but the icon stays on the screen for approximately 10 minutes (even after disconnecting any browser session to the endpoint).

This is in addition to the previous issue where websnpshots were disabled while the unit was in standby (no-websnapshots-when-system-standby-tc71x).

Update: TC7.3.3 returned some of the functionality, and the removal of the large message, but you need to obtain a "Remote Monitoring" option key for each endpoint.  However, this has introduced a range of other bugs which Cisco have not fully addressed yet.

Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

95 Replies 95

There's still some dodgyness happening when the unit goes in our out of standby - I've sent feedback on this back to Cisco as it's a little annoying.  Hopefully they can fix this before the final release.

Wayne
--
Please remember to rate responses and to mark your question as answered if appropriate.

Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

Anyone hear of an ETA for this update? Cisco discussed it MANY weeks ago in a presentation, but I have set to see anything in the firmware releases.

-Aaron

Hi Aaron

We are currently planning to build an RC this week. TC 7.3.3 will hopefully release next week if all the tests go through. That is our current status, no guarantees provided.

/Magnus

Will we still need to enter a "Remote Monitoring Key" to each endpoint?  If so, how do we obtain one for each endpoint?

Each endpoint would require the remote monitoring key you'd like for the message to not appear on.  The best way is to probably obtain the key would be to email the GLO and provide all the serial numbers for the systems you'd want it to apply to, unless they make it available to obtain through the Cisco Licensing Portal.

I've logged a call with TAC to get the Remote Monitoring Option Keys for all my TC software endpoints.  Note: from my testing, you can't actually install this key on to an endpoint until after it has been upgraded to TC7.3.3 (earlier versions say it's invalid).  This means you need to upgrade the endpoint (and reboot), then add the key (and reboot again) for it all to work nicely.

Wayne
--
Please remember to rate responses and to mark your question as answered if appropriate.

Wayne

So is working with TAC the only way to get this new option key??

Dave -

Send an email to Cisco Licensing (licensing@cisco.com) with all of your serial numbers, they can send you the option keys.

As per on of Magnus' posts in the TC7.3.3 is released thread, "If you have a lot of systems you need to enable this option key on, please raise a TAC case and they should be able to provide the means to push keys to all the systems automatically.

I've tested the functionality in TC7.3.3 on a number of endpoints here, and can confirm that the functionality (with the option key installed) is now very similar to the way it worked in TC7.1.x.

Note: Websnapshots / Remote Monitoring / whatever you want to call it now is still not available while the endpoint is in Standby as it was in TC7.0.x or TC6.x.

Wayne
--

Wayne
--
Please remember to rate responses and to mark your question as answered if appropriate - See more at: https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/12381651/tc730-websnapshots-broken-even-further-design#sthash.7CjFo12Y.dpuf
Wayne
--
Please remember to rate responses and to mark your question as answered if appropriate - See more at: https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/12381651/tc730-websnapshots-broken-even-further-design#sthash.7CjFo12Y.dpuf
Wayne

Got my keys and tested on two this morning. Upgraded first and on reboot went to apply the respective keys. Both failed.

"Failed adding option key: The server could not comply with the request since it is either malformed or otherwise incorrect."

My understanding is the whole websnapshots issue came about because of the "war fighting organisation" and as they're a very large customer, they got what they wanted.

It's the rest of us that are now suffering for the crappy way that Cisco implemented the change.

I'd much have rather had them leave the software and websnapshots how it was prior to TC7.1 and then, if they wanted to add an additional "option key", rather than crippling it for every other customer, added a "high security" key for those that wanted it in a high security mode.

This would also mean that, following the end of this year, we wouldn't have to be slugged a rumored US$100 per device to have a feature we've always had for free.

Charge those that want the "additional security" rather than everyone else who wants to just continue using the devices the way they always have.

Wayne
--

Wayne

I'd much have rather had them leave the software and websnapshots how it was prior to TC7.1 and then, if they wanted to add an additional "option key", rather than crippling it for every other customer, added a "high security" key for those that wanted it in a high security mode.

I totally agree with you Wayne, and second that idea!

They should instead offer it as a free option, there is already enough paid features as it is, adding another just makes it more confusing, even if it's just $100 list price.  I also agree they should have instead went for some kind of option key that removes the snapshot feature from the codec, instead of adding it.  Probably would elevate a lot of the issues you're all facing with the image refresh.

If it was some "war fighting organization" that made the push, if I'm not mistaken, most of them use strong security mode.  The funny thing is.. snapshots are disabled in that mode.  Which brings up a point, why require an option key at all, just create some sort of security mode that disables snapshots.

I myself used snapshots when troubleshooting and providing support for conferences, but I find that I never really used it as much as I thought I did.  When I heard about all the changes to how shapshots functions (monitoring banner to not requiring an option key), I don't actually find myself needing to use it or request the required option key.

My support staff use the snapshots all the time during their daily monitoring and troubleshooting of the devices.  And we've had custom web pages made which pull the snapshots from multiple endpoints to give a quick and easy overview of what's going on where.

Right now, the state things are in, we're likely to be rolling back to TC7.2.1 which isn't anywhere near as problematic as TC7.3.3.  (See the detailed list of bugs in one of my other comments in this thread for bugs CSCuv32679, CSCuv70134, CSCuv39364, CSCuv45623, CSCuo40784 and CSCuv71596).

Wayne
--

Wayne

Custom web page for multiple endpoint snapshots?

Yes, a simple HTML page which pulls the snapshots from multiple endpoints.

See attached file as an example.

Wayne

Wayne