cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VCS CUCM Search Rule Questions

Brandon Rebbe
Level 1
Level 1

I Have a VCS that is connected to a CUCM via a SIP trunk.  I can call the CUCM endpoints (phones) from any of the codecs registered to the VCS.  When the phones call the endpoints registerd to the VCS i get the informaiton but it seems like i may be missing a search ruloe or somthing. 

Setup

I have a trasform setup to change  the incoming extension @ the ip address:5060  to the extension@vcs domain.

I checked the pattern and it works. I have links setup between the default zone and the neighbor zone

This is what the event log shows when the call comes in:

Aug 27 14:58:38tvcs: Event="Call Rejected" Service="SIP" Src-ip="172.19.30.10" Src-port="5060" Src-alias-type="SIP" Src-alias="sip:5050@172.19.30.10" Dst-alias-type="SIP" Dst-alias="sip:3413@172.17.43.5:5060" Call-serial-number="97c3629c-f081-11e1-b9e7-0010f32381a2" Tag="97c36378-f081-11e1-9d86-0010f32381a2" Detail="Request Timeout" Protocol="TCP" Response-code="408" Level="1" UTCTime="2012-08-27 19:58:38,562"
Aug 27 14:58:38tvcs: Event="Search Completed" Service="SIP" Src-alias-type="SIP" Src-alias="5050@172.19.30.10" Dst-alias-type="SIP" Dst-alias="sip:3413@172.17.43.5:5060" Call-serial-number="97c3629c-f081-11e1-b9e7-0010f32381a2" Tag="97c36378-f081-11e1-9d86-0010f32381a2" Detail="found:FALSE, searchtype:INVITE" Level="1" UTCTime="2012-08-27 19:58:38,562"

I know my transform works but it is telling me searchtype:INVITE. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Above regex is for search rule.

1) is for searching device with full URL registration (SIP UA or H323 Endpoint with URL format H.323 ID) and 2) is for searching device with extension (H323 Endpoint with E.164 Alias for non-URL format H.323 ID).

> Type:   Regex

> Pattern:  (....)@172.19.30.10:5060

> Behavior: Replace

> Replace Strin: \1@VCSdomain

>

> Type: Regex

> Pattern: (....)@172.19.30.10(:.*)?

With these search rule (or alias transform) won't search H.323 Endpoint registered only with extension.

Do you have search rule like...,

Type:   Regex

Pattern: (....)@172.19.30.10:5060

Behavior: Replace

Replace Strin: \1

> Are your search rules then telling that extension where to go or do i not need these transforms?

We highly recommend to use Regex in search rule and replace the calling alias rather than using alias transform.

As Alok mention, usually 404 is typical failure notification however if your VCS has number of neighbor zones configuration then might experience bit different behavior when missing some search rule(s).

BTW, does call from CUCM fail both SIP UA on VCS and also H.323 Endpoint on VCS?

Or just one of those? (I should ask this first)

View solution in original post

15 Replies 15

Patrick Pettit
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

HI Brandon.  Getting 408 Request Timeout.  Maybe its hitting a zone that isn't responding in time or not providing a response back and its timing out.  Do you have the VCS Code version? If running post X7, you can run network log debug on the Maint>Diagnostics page and post the log of the failing call?  Would be interested in seeing if you can.  Pre X7, you would have to log in with Putty, capture the output to a file and run netlog 2 to capture the output.  The CUCM version would be nice to know as well. 

Thanks. 

VR

Patrick

I have this working fine.

Try checking MTP required o the sip trunk in cucm

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Brandon Rebbe
Level 1
Level 1

We are running VCS x7.1 and CUCM 8.6.2

I am not onsite to make a call right now so i cannot get the log but the option is there.  

John

I am not a Call manager guy and i am relying on a third party to program the CUCM.  Can you be more specific on what you mean by MTP? 

I am little green

Hi Brandon,

i won't recommend to enable the MTP on SIP trunk as it might lead you to video issues.!!

regarding the 408 error if you see its showing as source 172.19.30.10  but it seems to me its CUCM???is it correct??

if thats the CUCM then you should collect the RTMT logs to check why the CUCM sending the 408 request timeout for the call !!!

Thanks

Alok

172.19.30.10 is the source of the CUCM.  We are not using any video phones and do not plan too. This trunk is for Voice only, so maybe we can try the MTP.  I will see what happens

Hi Brandon,

If that is the case then you can try with MTP, but for video MTP is not recommended as old PVDM doesn't support video.!!

But its important to find why CUCM sends  408 error?? we need to find at which stage CUCM sends 408 error.

thanks

Alok

I would also check the deployment guide and see if everything regards vcs&cucm config look ok,

as well as DNS settings and also if there is any firewall trying to do magic on the sip packets.

If you know sip, a debug trace could also reveal much.

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

Tomonori Taniguchi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Does your Endpoint registered on VCS with extension@vcs.domain? or just extension like E.164 Alias or H323.ID?

Or devices under VCS are only with SIP UA with full URL?

my endpoints register to the VCS via Sip extension@vcsdomian and h323 is just extension.  I have a call this morning with TAC to find out the issue with this hopefully.  

Tomonori Taniguchi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If call from CUCM to H323 Endpoint under VCS with extension only, you will need two search rules.

Assume 172.17.43.5 is IP address of your VCS.

1) Regex – extension@172.17.43.5:5060 to extension@vcsdomain

(.+)@172.17.43.5.*  -- replace -->  \1@vcsdomain

2) Regex – extension@172.17.43.5:5060 to extension

(.+)@172.17.43.5.*  -- replace -->  \1

VCS will handle SIP to H323 interworking call, but destination alias must be match up.

If search rule only convert to extension@vcsdomain where H323 Endpoint registered only with extension, VCS can’t match up with destination device.

Therefore you need to configure additional search rule 2) to remove domain from dialing alias and let VCS to lookup extension within own registration DB.

I have some transforms setup for when the call comes across the SIP trunk.

CUCM to VCS Alias

Pattern:  (....)@172.19.30.10:5060

Replace Strin: \1@VCSdomain

Type: Regex

Pattern: (....)@172.19.30.10(:.*)?

Replace Strin: \1@VCSdomain

These will transfomr the incoming 5161@CUCMIP:5060 to an extension 

Are your search rules then telling that extension where to go or do i not need these transforms?  The Deployment guide says the transforms are needed.

Thanks for the help

Brandon,

Transforms and search rules both can be used.!! transforms will be matched before the search rule applies.

you tranforms will strip the cucm ip and append a domain to it. the resulting URI then will be matched to necessary search rules and passed to the destination zone.

however if the search rules are not proper then you will see probably a 404 not found error rather then 408..it seems that during the SIP call transaction the CUCM is trying to send the signaling to the endpoint or may be trying to invoke some service and after failing it is sending a 408 req time out.

if you have knowledge of RTMT logs then you can certanly check why cucm sends a 408.

Thanks

Alok

Above regex is for search rule.

1) is for searching device with full URL registration (SIP UA or H323 Endpoint with URL format H.323 ID) and 2) is for searching device with extension (H323 Endpoint with E.164 Alias for non-URL format H.323 ID).

> Type:   Regex

> Pattern:  (....)@172.19.30.10:5060

>

> Type: Regex

> Pattern: (....)@172.19.30.10(:.*)?

With these search rule (or alias transform) won't search H.323 Endpoint registered only with extension.

Do you have search rule like...,

Pattern: (....)@172.19.30.10:5060

Replace Strin: \1

> Are your search rules then telling that extension where to go or do i not need these transforms?

We highly recommend to use Regex in search rule and replace the calling alias rather than using alias transform.

As Alok mention, usually 404 is typical failure notification however if your VCS has number of neighbor zones configuration then might experience bit different behavior when missing some search rule(s).

BTW, does call from CUCM fail both SIP UA on VCS and also H.323 Endpoint on VCS?

Or just one of those? (I should ask this first)

The new Search Rules fixed the issue  !!!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: