Views
Helpful
Replies

Video Traffic Thru Router Serial Interface

Judin_SungHoon
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Will i encounter any issue if my video traffic run through serial port on my MPLS router? Most of my current  video connection traffic run through ethernet connection. I need to confirm on this matter before i revert  back to my business on the impact.

3 Replies 3

R0g22
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
Have you talked to your MPLS provider ? Usually they enforce QoS markings to treat such traffic better. You need to make sure that your video traffic conforms to those markings before it leaves the router so that it is handles correctly within the MPLS cloud. Also, you might need to look at policing and/or traffic shaping depending upon your ISP CIR/PIR rates that they have sanctioned for you.

Hi Nipun,

Yes all my other MPLS router do have Video QoS to have a better traffic and performance. The different is the one that im trying to decide now using serial and the rest thru ethernet. If Cisco confirm thru serial wont degrade the quality of the video quality itself, then im good.

As long as you do not saturate your link to the point where you break your CIR/PIR contract, you should be good. Post the breach, your ISP will either starting dropping your data or give it best effort only.
Implement one site and see how it goes. Check the router performance, video performance and then decide if going over MPLS is better for you or not and will serve your organization's video hungry needs.