Views
Helpful
Replies

Webex Room 70 DUAL multipoint question

givanov
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am using Webex Room 70 Dual registered to CUCM. First of all I would like to know how to check whether the Room has the multipoint option. What I knew is that this option is always included with maximum of 3 (or 4 depending on the resolution) participants and if you want more you need to separately order the MultiSite option. But now reading the Admin guide I see this:

"The built-in MultiSite is optional and may not be available on all video systems."

Does this mean that now if you don't order MS separately you basically can't host a conference on the Room itself? Is this changed from how it was previously?

My second question is how can I make the two screens of the system display two different participants? Does it matter if the conference is hosted on the Room (with MS) or on a CUCM registered Conference bridge? I've played with the Monitor Role options, but all I am able to do is switch the screens or display the same on both screens. If there is a presentation that's fine - the presentation goes on one screen and all participants go on the other. But if there isn't a presentation I would like to have one participants on each monitor. I am not even sure if this is possible, but all video reviews show it and it will be a huge disadvantage if this can't be done.

Any help will be appreciated.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Magnus Ohm
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

It would be useful to know what software version you are running currently on your device. However I will try to answer your questions.

The MultiSite option can be checked via the web interface (https://codecip) - It should be listed on the Home landing page under "Installed Options", if MultiSite is NOT listed, it is not installed, there are multiple other way to check it but this is the simplest. If you do not have it and want to buy it, you install the option via the web interface as well (Maintenance -> Option Keys) This option works exactly as before, and needs to be ordered separately. MultiSite is not included by default and has an extra cost.

Regarding your question on dual screen utilization it is all about the amount of streams you are receiving. With MultiSite and if the Dual Screen device is hosting the meeting (not participating in another MultiSite call), the Room 70 will receive up to X streams and will utilize both screen for more than 1 participants. If your Dual 70 is joined into a meeting hosted on a different device with MultiSite it will receive 1 stream from that device containing the other participants in 1 image which is why you only see it on one screen. If someone in that call shares a presentation it will use the second screen since the content share is a separate stream (normally) so now you are receiving an image with 2-3 participants and a stream with the presentation. 

We do support the use of both screens in a CMS call with the "Dual screen experience" but it needs to be configured correctly to work (see the documentation). In this case the CMS will transcode two video streams and send it to each participant (that supports this) and the presentation will in this case be the third stream (if content is shared).

So to conclude: indeed we support the use of two screen with video participants but just not in all scenarios, we are depending on receiving more than one video stream to utilize more screens. If you only see one video image (on one screen) with multiple participants this is a "Transcoded" image which means that the remote host has put together multiple streams into one image which is sent as one stream back to you (roughly explained).

/Magnus

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Magnus Ohm
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

It would be useful to know what software version you are running currently on your device. However I will try to answer your questions.

The MultiSite option can be checked via the web interface (https://codecip) - It should be listed on the Home landing page under "Installed Options", if MultiSite is NOT listed, it is not installed, there are multiple other way to check it but this is the simplest. If you do not have it and want to buy it, you install the option via the web interface as well (Maintenance -> Option Keys) This option works exactly as before, and needs to be ordered separately. MultiSite is not included by default and has an extra cost.

Regarding your question on dual screen utilization it is all about the amount of streams you are receiving. With MultiSite and if the Dual Screen device is hosting the meeting (not participating in another MultiSite call), the Room 70 will receive up to X streams and will utilize both screen for more than 1 participants. If your Dual 70 is joined into a meeting hosted on a different device with MultiSite it will receive 1 stream from that device containing the other participants in 1 image which is why you only see it on one screen. If someone in that call shares a presentation it will use the second screen since the content share is a separate stream (normally) so now you are receiving an image with 2-3 participants and a stream with the presentation. 

We do support the use of both screens in a CMS call with the "Dual screen experience" but it needs to be configured correctly to work (see the documentation). In this case the CMS will transcode two video streams and send it to each participant (that supports this) and the presentation will in this case be the third stream (if content is shared).

So to conclude: indeed we support the use of two screen with video participants but just not in all scenarios, we are depending on receiving more than one video stream to utilize more screens. If you only see one video image (on one screen) with multiple participants this is a "Transcoded" image which means that the remote host has put together multiple streams into one image which is sent as one stream back to you (roughly explained).

/Magnus

Hi Magnus,
Thank you for the detailed explanation!

I was also thinking that this is the case, but couldn't find it explained and documented anywhere.

As per the "dual screen experience" - is CMS the only product that supports it? Does any another device (MCU, TP Server, TP Conducter, etc.)  have this kind of functionality?

Only CMS. TPS supports multistream but since you are on CE9 its not supported anymore. Its supported on CE8 but Room 70 dual cannot run CE8. :/

/Magnus

Hi,

I have one question

Can I display the presentation widely on the 2 screens as we do in a video wall. not to display the same presentation twice on both screens, but to use the 2 screens as a Video wall to display the presentation on both widely

also for the video of pariticpants, can i display the stream widely on the 2 screens

I see I can create layout and configure each screen with a layout, we can assign the same layout for both screens , if so both screen will display the same layout, but I think this way I'll see the presentation repeated on both screen not as what we need

Thanks