Views
Helpful
Replies

Expressway-C/E rule for external Domain

asherif82
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We have configured Expressway-C/E for B2B calls and it is working fine to dial external domains such as test@webex.com. However, when calling an external domain that contain extension and domain portion (e.g. 222333@xyz.com) from Cisco Jabber or Telepresence Endpoint, it just removes the domain portion and gives me on the screen 222333 in conjunction with the nice lady from UCM saying "The call cannot be completed as dialed..."since that extension is not on the UCM

The main issue is that I'm not sure why the domain is removed in case an 222333@xyz.com and not pass through as with test@webex.com.

The configuration I have as follow:

CUCM Side:

-SIP Route Pattern as follow:

Pattern usage: Domain Routing
IPv4 Pattern: *
Route Partition:None
SIP Trunk/Route List: EXPC-SIP-Trunk

EXPC/E Side:

I have attached snapshots that applied for both C & E.

Please advise.

8 Replies 8

Paulo Souza
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

Could you please share with us a screenshot from the Expressway-C's Search History Details page?

From what you said, I understand that CUCM is not keeping the domain portion when sending the call towards Expressway-C, which is something that is not supposed to happen. Therefore, we need to make sure that CUCM is really doing that. Possibly, the Expressway-C may also be transforming the destination address. So, please, provide us with the search history details so that we can look further.

Cheers,

Paulo Souza

Remember to rate useful answers and mark your question as "answered" if applicable.

Paulo Souza Was my response helpful? Please rate useful replies and remember to mark any solved questions as "answered".

Hi Acevirgil/Paulo,

I have attached all search rules, transorm rules and UCM SIP Route patterns.

Also, I have looked at call history and it gives below error, also attached.

Need your advise.

Thanks.

You didn't include the Seach history for the call to 33333490@tcs.com to look further on what the Expressway-C is doing with the seach rules, transforms, and if hitting the appropriate zone for that specific call.

Go to Status > Search history.

Also, verify if the tcs.com is resolvable using DNS lookup on your Expressway-E.

Go to Maintenance > Tools > Network utilities > DNS lookup

One thing to look also is why the call going to Expressway-E is H323-H323? This is strange.

We need the Serch history for the call to look further.

regards,

Acevirgil

I have cheked nslookup in EXP-E and it seems that I'm unable to resolve any public IP Address or external domains but actually I'm able to call them and connection works which is strange.

Also,I was wondering is it working to dial/resolve an extension portion instead of User ID such as 33333490@tcs.com? May be this is the issue right?.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Note:Attached is the search Histroy for both EXP-C/E

Thanks

"Also,I was wondering is it working to dial/resolve an extension portion instead of User ID such as 33333490@tcs.com? May be this is the issue right?"

For B2B call to work, you should dial the full URI (33333490@tcs.com), then the domain portion (tcs.com) should be resolvable by the Expressway-E. Using the Expressway-E DNS Zone, call to tcs.com will be searched and should be resolved using the DNS servers configured on your Expressway-E.

Based on the Search history on the Expressway-C the call is hitting the TraversalClient (B2B) then going to Expressway-E DNS Zone (B2B) which is right path to reach the destination, the only strange here is why it is trying to reach using H323 protocol? If I'm not mistaken it should be SIP.

Can you verify on the Expressway-C NeighborZone to CUCM, H323 mode must set to OFF.

ON Expressway-E, try to change the Search rule configuration for DNS Zone: 

On successful match: Continue

Try also to disable H323 mode on both Expressways TraversalZone to isolate issue. 

Then try to do test.

regards,

Acevirgil

I have disabled H.323 from Configuration-->Protocols--H.323 on both EXPC/E, But the system throw me the attached error which is odd and not sure if this is normal.I have tested the call and it successfully match as SIP<-->SIP in the search hostory this time.I have changed also the DNS Zone to "continue" on successful Match.

However, Still unable to identify why the domain portion is deleted while I made a call. The issue is widely applied for any extension dialed with a domain portion (e.g. 123@abc.com) ,it still removes the @abc.com and leave it with 123 which lead to hear a message from UCM saying that this number cannot be dialed.

The first thing you should investigate is the result from the image expc_search_details_3.jpg.

As you can see, Exp-C attempted to route the call using SIP protocol in the first place, which is the expected behavior, as the source endpoint is registered with SIP. But as you can see, the SIP search failed (NOT FOUND error), then Exp-C tried to route it again by using H323 instead.

Before anyhitng, check again the search history page on Exp-E and take a look at the first search attempt coming from Exp-C for that call, the one that is using SIP protocol. Then you open the search details for that attempt and check the routing process in order to figure out why Exp-E is not routing the call when using SIP.

Second thing, as far as I can see, Exp-E was able to route the call towards internet successfully (even though it is using H323 instead of SIP). The remote successfully received the call attempt but it answered with a "Busy" response, which indicates that user is not available (not registered or in a call). At this point, it seems that your dial plan configuration is right, since Exp-E sent the call to the remote destination correctly. Therefore, I suggest you try callig different numbers at tcs.com as well as calling another public SIP/H323 testing systems on internet. This is to make sure that you are not facing an isolated issue to call a particular number.

Paulo Souza

Remember to rate useful answers and mark your question as "answered" if applicable.

Paulo Souza Was my response helpful? Please rate useful replies and remember to mark any solved questions as "answered".

Your Search rules on Expressway-C looks fine. Search rule for Expressway-E targeting DNS Zone is also good. Do you have other search rule on Expressway-E targeting its TraversalZone?

Did you check if call to 222333@xyz.com is reaching the Expressway-C and E under Status > Search History?

Could you share also your Transforms on both Expressway.

regards,

Acevirgil