cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

answer address vs incoming called-number in dial-peer, what is the real use case?

Meddane
VIP
VIP

We know that the incoming called-number command is used to match the Called number while the answer-address command is used to match the Calling number. What is the real use case of the the incoming called-number and the answer-address commands?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I found this definition more sense and it explains the real use case of the answer-address and the incoming called-number commands:

Use the answer-address command when matching the geographical region of the caller. This approach is recommended in these situations:
1- Callers from a given country should be directed to the appropriate language-speaking team.
2- Callers from a specific region should be directed to the regional sales staff.

Use the incoming called-number command whenever possible. Because all types of call setup messages and signals always include the DNIS information, Cisco recommends using the incoming called-number command for inbound dial peer matching. In particular, the incoming called-number command is useful for service selection, such as in these situations:
1-Different numbers are available to reach the sales and technical support.
2-Different numbers exist for shipping order, tracking, and cancellation.

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Scott Leport
Level 7
Level 7

Hello,

This link goes into detail around the inbound dial-peer matching process.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/voice/call-routing-dial-plans/14074-in-dial-peer-match.html#topic3

The incoming called-number is traditionally the dial-peer you want calls coming into your gateway to match. When I mean incoming to the gateway, I mean coming either from the PSTN or from CUCM. Very useful for matching because it matches on the called number and has the highest preference when talking about the traditional methods. Also useful because without it, there is a high chance of matching the dreaded dial-peer 0, which is bad. Nowadays there are enhancements to the traditional dial-peer matching methods, which would be good for anyone to learn about as when used these change the order of operations when used in conjunction with the more traditional matching techniques. Link detailing that below:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/voice/ip-telephony-voice-over-ip-voip/211306-In-Depth-Explanation-of-Cisco-IOS-and-IO.html?referring_site=RE&pos=1&page=https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios-xml/ios/voice/cube/configuration/cube-book/cu...

Re Answer-Address, maybe someone else from the community could chip in, but I personally have never seen answer-address used in real world deployments. I am struggling to imagine a situation where you want to route a call from your gateway to CUCM based on ANI / calling party number.

But what is the benefit to match either the called number or the calling number?

As you yourself wrote these are used to either match called or calling numbers. It’s use case is whether you’d want to match, called or calling, on the specific dial peer.

Response Signature

But what is the benefit to match either the called number or the calling number?

Here is an example for both case.

called-number  scenario:-

My management decided that if a call comes to 399, transfer the call to 389. This can be done from the phone level but my management requested that it has to be done from the VG.

111111.png

Answer-address Scenario :-

Management requested if 99028165 call 399 it should  ring on 389. And for reaming callers, it should be a normal calls.

When call came from 99028165, it rang on 389

22222.png

When call came from number other than 99028165, it rang on the dialed-number.

22222222.jpg

This is just a simple use case.......

Response Signature

I found this definition more sense and it explains the real use case of the answer-address and the incoming called-number commands:

Use the answer-address command when matching the geographical region of the caller. 

Use the incoming called-number command whenever possible. Because all types of call setup messages and signals always include the DNIS information, Cisco recommends using the incoming called-number command for inbound dial peer matching. In particular, the incoming called-number command is useful for service selection.

It depends on what the user that configures the system wants and needs. Both of these have its use case. It’s not really a question that anyone can answer for you.

Response Signature

Use the answer-address command when matching the geographical region of the caller. This approach is recommended in these situations:
1- Callers from a given country should be directed to the appropriate language-speaking team.
2- Callers from a specific region should be directed to the regional sales staff.

Use the incoming called-number command whenever possible. Because all types of call setup messages and signals always include the DNIS information, Cisco recommends using the incoming called-number command for inbound dial peer matching. In particular, the incoming called-number command is useful for service selection, such as in these situations:
1-Different numbers are available to reach the sales and technical support.
2-Different numbers exist for shipping order, tracking, and cancellation.

Great ,

but if i've 2 inbound dial-peers

1st with incoming called-number .t

2nd with answer address "my Mobile number"

does 2nd one will match if i make a call from my mobile number ? , it doesn't

so what is the solution , if i want to keep using 1st dial-peer with incoming called-number .T

thanks

As this post has been marked as Solved by the OP and your question is somewhat off-topic to what the OP asked about it is recommended that you create your own post to ask you question.

In this document you'll find the explanation to how inbound dial peer matching operates. In Depth Explanation of Cisco IOS and IOS-XE Call Routing.

Based on the order of operation you can not get Calling Number to match before Called Number as it is higher in order of match.

Response Signature

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: