Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco UC and AWS

richb1971
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

I'm considering allowing myself to be distracted from studies to take a peek at Amazon AWS. Has anyone tried running any Cisco UC Apps in there? I'd like to run a server or two in there and a CUBE if possible to connect to my home Lab.

Can anyone share experiences?

Rich

5 Replies 5

alex_hannah
Level 4
Level 4

I tried this 2 years ago and wasted a week and lost some hair.  The CUCM Installation files, the hardened RedHat OS does a hardware check and will fail when you try to install it in the Amazon AMI machine ( Amazon's version of a VMware Virtual Machine ). 

Rumor has it if you watch the UC 11.5 installers close enough ( the actual command line during the install ) you can see the AWS hooks but it is not supported by TAC in any way shape or form. 

What you may try to do is to install CUCM in VMware and then run a VMware converter to AMI.  ( Google search, there are utilities out there that will do this ).   I have not personally tried it but give it a shot and see how far you get.

I don't think Cisco will support AWS any time soon, I would suspect seeing CUCM supported on Hyper-V before AWS or Google Cloud.

Hope that helps,

Alex

CCIE Collab #25853

Thanks Alex - saves me some messing around, much appreciated

kevbo
Level 5
Level 5

I had the same thought, this has saved me a bit of time trying it.

Hi Guys,

Some of the applications do work such as CUCM 12.5, IM&P, UCCE but expressways, Unity are still under investigation.

Regards,
Tarun

Hi Tarun,

did you manage to migrate the CUCM on VMware Cloud on AWS? What type of instance/specs did you have to resort to on the AWS side (instance processor type, RAM, EBS VOlume size and type etc? and what CUCM version are you running on the ESXi in VMware Cloud on AWS?

Thanks in advance for any pointers.

Kind regards,

A.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: