cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco unity connection maximum message length

vincehgov
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I'm trying to configure the maximum length of a voicemail message that can be left by a caller.

I see some options on a couple pages and want to know if anyone can elaborate on their function.

On System Settings->Advanced->Telephony, there is an option Maximum Recording Time in Milliseconds.  Is this a global setting that controls the maximum message size regardless of the settings in COS and mailbox?  I ask because this setting is specified as recording-time-in-milliseconds whereas it is specified as Message Length everywhere else, not to mention that it is also granular down to the millisecond.

On the Class of Service setting, there is a Maximum Length setting for Message Length. To my understanding, this controls the message length for internal callers.

On the users' mailboxes, there is also a Maximum Length setting for Message Length.  To my understanding, this controls the message length for external or unidentified callers.

5 Replies 5

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Vincent,

Here we go You are right about where to set the Internal/External

maximums.

Edit Message Settings

Table 1-12 Edit Message Settings Page 

Field

Description

Maximum Message Length

Set the recording length (in seconds) allowed for messages left  by unidentified callers.

Users may want to limit the length of messages from unidentified  callers. Some departments, such as Customer Service, may want to permit much  longer messages.

If enabled, callers hear a warning tone before the maximum  message length is reached.

Note : The maximum recording length for  messages left by other users is set on the applicable Edit Class of Service  page. The maximum recording length for broadcast messages that users record (if  applicable) is set on the System Settings > Advanced > Conversations page.

Default setting: 300 seconds.

Cheers!

Rob

Thanks Rob,

Any idea what Maximum Recording Time does and why it's specified in ms while everything else is specified in Seconds?

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hey Vincent,

Excellent question ...I think that one is set in milliseconds just make

us exercise our brain a little bit...... Just kidding!

I don't want to play with that setting on our production build so let me try

it out in the lab next week. I'll post back with the results.

Cheers!

Rob

Wow.. thanks alot Rob! I wish I had a lab environment.

Hi Vincent,

I wanted to get back to you to let you know I haven't

forgotten about the testing we were going to do When

I went to do the testing I had forgotten that our Lab is currently

torn apart as we wait for new 6500's and network switches. As soon

as everything is back up and running, we'll continue on.

Sorry man.

Cheers!

Rob