cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CME NIM CARD CONFIGURATION AND SERIAL INTERFACE ISSUE

arouna.kikone1
Level 1
Level 1

Sorry everyone, I'm beginner to cisco voice and I'm doing a deployment right now.
I have a cme ISR4351/K9, I inserted a NIM-1MFT card on the first empty slot named NIM1 since the router has 3 slots for NIM cards.
I reloaded the router.
My problem is that I can't see the serial interface when I do a show running.
Below are the available interfaces:
GigabitEthernet0/0/0
GigabitEthernet0/0/1
GigabitEthernet0/0/2
* Service-Engine0/4/0
GigabitEthernet0
Can you help me please

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

You need to have a DSP (PVDM) module on the NIM card. If it is one present on the motherboard move it to the NIM module.

Response Signature

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Assuming that you have a T1/E1 PRI type of card? If so have you defined what port type that you want it to be? This document should help you along with what you need to do. Configuring the Cisco Fourth-Generation T1/E1 Voice and WAN Network Interface Module 

Response Signature

I defined the type of card by the command: card type e1 0 1 despite that the serial interface still does not appear in the list of interfaces.
Shouldn't the serial interface appear automatically after inserting the NIM-1MFT T1/E1 card?
or is it the fact of defining the type of card that brings up this interface?
Do you have an activation procedure for this card.
When the router starts, we can see that the NIM-1MFT T1/E1 card is recognized by the router. see below:

%NETCLK-6-ENTER_HOLDOVER: System Internal synchronization source is selected.
%PNP-6-PNP_BEST_UDI_UPDATE: Best UDI [PID:ISR4351/K9,VID:V08,SN:FDO2548M09G] identified via (entity-mibs)
%PNP-6-PNP_CDP_UPDATE: Device UDI [PID:ISR4351/K9,VID:V08,SN:FDO2548M09G] identified for CDP
%PNP-6-PNP_DISCOVERY_STOPPED: PnP Discovery stopped (Startup Config Present)
%SPA_OIR-6-ONLINECARD: SPA (ISR4351-3x1GE) online in subslot 0/0
%SYS-5-CONFIG_P: Configured programmatically by process EPM CREATE DEFAULT CWA URL ACL from console as console
%PKI-6-TRUSTPOINT_CREATE: Trustpoint: CISCO_IDEVID_SUDI created succesfully
%CRYPTO_ENGINE-5-KEY_ADDITION: A key named CISCO_IDEVID_SUDI has been generated or imported by pki-sudi
%PKI-6-TRUSTPOINT_CREATE: Trustpoint: CISCO_IDEVID_SUDI0 created succesfully
%PKI-2-NON_AUTHORITATIVE_CLOCK: PKI functions can not be initialized until an authoritative time source, like NTP, can be obtained.
%SPA_OIR-6-ONLINECARD: SPA (PVDM4-64) online in subslot 0/4
%DSPRM-5-UP_DOWN: DSP 1 in subslot 0/4, changed state to up
%CALL_HOME-6-CALL_HOME_ENABLED: Call-home is enabled by Smart Agent for Licensing.
%LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface Service-Engine0/4/0, changed state to up
%SMART_LIC-6-REPORTING_REQUIRED: A Usage report acknowledgement will be required in 363 days.
%LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Service-Engine0/4/0, changed state to up
%SPA_OIR-6-ONLINECARD: SPA (NIM-1MFT-T1/E1) online in subslot 0/1

The excellent link that @Roger Kallberg provided has a section on data support with this module titled "Configuring the T1/E1 Network Interface Module for Data Support". The module doesn't know how you want to use it until you tell it.

If I remember correctly (long time, since I configured my last E1/T1 card...), the Serial Interface will show up, after you configured the controller.
But if you would have followed the good step by step guide, which @Roger Kallberg posted, you would have come across the step of configuring the controller, after the "card type ..." command.

As @b.winter wrote the serial interface is created when you have configured the controller interface that in it's turn shows up when you have set the card type. As @Elliot Dierksen wrote the card does not know what it is used for until you configure it.

Response Signature

arouna.kikone1
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you very much for your interest in my problem.
However after having defined the type of card, when I define the parameters of the controller with the command:
CME_VOICEGATEWAY(config-controller)#pri-group timeslots 1-31

I get the messages below:

CME_VOICEGATEWAY(config-controller)#pri-group timeslots 1-31
E1 0/1/0: No voice port or DSP resource for voice feature
E1 0/1/0: For MFT T1E1 modules, pri-group has to have DSP (PVDM4) modules installed.
E1 0/1/0: Please check if DSP module is plugged in before configuring pri-group!
E1 0/1/0: This pri-group configuration is REJECTED!

You need to have a DSP (PVDM) module on the NIM card. If it is one present on the motherboard move it to the NIM module.

Response Signature

Hello all,
After moving the PVDM4 module from the motherboard to the NIM board as recommended by @Roger Kallberg, the command "pri-group timeslots 1-31" executed and the serial interface appeared.
Thank you all for the help you have given me.

arouna.kikone1
Level 1
Level 1

If i execute this command show inventory to see if i PVDM4 module is install, i got this output:

INFO: Please use "show license UDI" to get serial number for licensing.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

NAME: "Chassis", DESCR: "Cisco ISR4351 Chassis"
PID: ISR4351/K9 , VID: V08 , SN: FDO2548M09G

NAME: "Power Supply Module 0", DESCR: "450W AC Power Supply for Cisco ISR4450, ISR4350"
PID: PWR-4450-AC , VID: V03 , SN: DCC2533L256

NAME: "Fan Tray", DESCR: "Cisco ISR4450, ISR4350 Fan Assembly"
PID: ACS-4450-FANASSY , VID: , SN:

NAME: "module 0", DESCR: "Cisco ISR4351 Built-In NIM controller"
PID: ISR4351/K9 , VID: , SN:

NAME: "NIM subslot 0/1", DESCR: "NIM-1MFT-T1/E1 - T1/E1 Serial Module"
PID: NIM-1MFT-T1/E1 , VID: V06 , SN: FOC25506L49

NAME: "PVDM subslot 0/4", DESCR: "PVDM4-64 Voice DSP Module"
PID: PVDM4-64 , VID: V02 , SN: FOC25422DXU

NAME: "NIM subslot 0/0", DESCR: "Front Panel 3 ports Gigabitethernet Module"
PID: ISR4351-3x1GE , VID: V01 , SN:

NAME: "module 1", DESCR: "Cisco ISR4351 Built-In SM controller"

NAME: "module 2", DESCR: "Cisco ISR4351 Built-In SM controller"

NAME: "module R0", DESCR: "Cisco ISR4351 Route Processor"
PID: ISR4351/K9 , VID: V08 , SN: FDO25450C0Z

NAME: "module F0", DESCR: "Cisco ISR4351 Forwarding Processor"

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: